DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram General Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Stinky (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=149400)

PiTTdAwG 08-04-2013 09:54 PM

Stinky

1 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone, I just bought a 04 Quad cab. Its in great shape with only 66k miles. The problem I have is the PO was a smoker. The dealership cleaned the interior, that is obvious. The truck smells like carpet cleaner AND smoke. Have any of you dealt with this? A simple air freshner isnt cutting it.

PaulMys 08-04-2013 10:18 PM

As a smoker myself, I do not smoke in my vehicles for just this reason. That being said, I would love to hear suggestions on this. Ramforumz members?

CdnoilRAM 08-04-2013 11:11 PM

There are several methods for removing the cigarette smell from the interior. It will take a long process but it will work in the end. First, clean everything out of the vehicle, I mean everything from crap under the seats, to glovebox, to the old map shoved in the door pocket. Then clean every hard surface with warm water and a mild detergent. For all soft surfaces use a quality auto shampoo/vacuum including the HEADLINER!!! If you have leather seats I highly recommend Leather Doctor's d'Smoke-4.7.

Next soak some small towels in bowls of vinegar and leave them in the cab overnight (towel in the bowl). The vinegar will help absorb odors into the cloth and trap it there. Buy a good deodorizer, I like Eat Oil's SuperFresh or ChemSpec's Smoke-Solv All Faric Deodorizing Fog. Next you can remove the cabin air filter (if equipped), turning the vehicle on, switch on the A/C to full blast and liberally spray the deodorizer into the vent inlet in the windshield cowl until you can start smelling it through the vents. Let this run for about 5 min and turn on the cabin recirculate and spray into the inlet on the passenger side footwell. Spray the cab liberally including on the headliner. Repeat this step several times over a week.

This should get the cab smelling not like smoke and after a few weeks it'll be back to normal once the deodorizing chemicals have completely evaporated and been purged from the vehicle.

huntergreen 08-05-2013 01:41 AM

back in the early seventies, everyone smoked and dealers were able to get rid of the smell so i can be done.

RogerRamJet 08-05-2013 01:52 AM

I know that onions absorb odors, and do it quite well. If you don't mind the truck smelling like onions for a day, chop up some onions, put them in a bowl and set them on the floor.

wchnu 08-05-2013 02:57 AM

I smoke cigars in my truck. I use cajun fresh air freshener it does the trick. Non smokers tell me it gets the cigar smell out. I like the smell so only use it when othrts will be in the beast. :)

richmond 08-05-2013 09:34 AM

Red onions

Try the red onions...........crack the windows, chunk'em day 2.

R...

CajunDodge 08-05-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMys (Post 1167871)
As a smoker myself, I do not smoke in my vehicles for just this reason. That being said, I would love to hear suggestions on this. Ramforumz members?

Same for me, I smoke but never in my truck. Used to smoke in my previous older vehicles and I don't miss ashes all over the place or anything else about it lol. Just means on long trips my dog gets a few walks! Some cool suggestions here!

- Cajun

anothernewb 08-05-2013 10:11 AM

Chlorine Dioxide. I haven't seen (smelled) any odor it can't eliminate yet. I don't know where you're at, but most semi sized metro areas and larger have someone that can do it. Even in my hometown, there as a guy that came to the dealerships every so often to treat cars.

I have never seen the stuff actually working in person, but I have seen it's results. I think (this is only becuase of the gear I've seen, again, I really don't know what they really do) it's a 2 part process where they shampoo the car from top to bottom with a dry cleaning like chemical and then set this container of stuff that looks like a bug bomb in the car. a day or 2 later and all odor traces are gone.

I've seen a few less than reputable second hand dealers use the stuff to clear odors from submerged cars as well. however, the smell of rot comes back about 20-30 days later, working that one out is another long story - the end of which was that my neice lost the battle over a waterlogged car, but the second hand dealer lost alot more business when said car was parked right next to the dealership with a giant billboard like warning sign. Was kind of funny. she was offered buy her off, then threatened when she blew him off. Not a good thing to do when your mother is a 911 dispatcher, and your father is the county sheriff.

spoiler 08-05-2013 10:34 AM

Okay this one is if all else fails.... Kinda funny story....I had a truck that had a strong mildew type smell that bested any product and process I ever tried.... until coffee.
I'll spare you the 6 months of scrubbing and cussing I did and cut to the chase. I got a small plastic container from the kitchen and poked a bunch of holes in it. Filled it with fresh ground coffee (french roast has a stronger smell that most varieties) Slipped it under the passenger seat.
It was amazing... first off I am a coffee drinker so the smell didn't bother me at all- kinda of disappeared to my nose after a few days.... but to all of my friends.... they'd get in the car and practically celebrate how GREAT my car smelled. I mean they really raved that it smelled so much better than regular air fresheners. There were a couple women that I worked with that said always looked forward to driving in my truck because it smelled so good. I kept it in the truck for two years and replaced it about every six months. When I finally sold the truck- I told the buyer about the container under the seat and he said. "I was gonna ask you how you make it smell so good"

Again... not everyones solution... but could be a temporary fix while you find the right chemicals.