DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LEVELING (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=261)
-   -   Rear spacers on stock shocks? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=149434)

MamasLaramie 08-05-2013 09:28 AM

Rear spacers on stock shocks?

So if you saw my bilstein thread you know I miscalculated and I have a bit of a cali lean going on. It looks real bad when i haul my sons dirtbike. It needs about 1.5in in the back but i read somewhere that you could only go about an inch before needing a longer shock in the back. Is this true? I actually wouldnt mind going 1.75 just to allow for hauling.

Heres a good pic of the lean.
[IMG]http://www.ramforumz.com/PHOTOPOST/d...16285451_n.jpg[/IMG]

Crux420 08-05-2013 01:29 PM

Your correct. As far as I know 1" is the maximum rear lift before needing a longer shock.

MangoTangoMofo 08-05-2013 02:18 PM

I have a 4x4 2010 quad cab sport with the rough country 2.5" front level and 1.75" rear spacer with no issues at all.

Where did you hear that you can't go over an inch? The biggest concerns are that it wont be level (which is based of looks and an issue that you're trying to fix) and that it won't handle the same... but most of those concerns were expressed on much older threads when the coli rear suspension was still new and no one was willing to be a test pilot. I'm not mechanic but I can tell you that myself and other members are running 1.5" + spacers with no issues. If you would like to see some pis of my rig with the rear spacer here's a link to my thread. http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=139401

MamasLaramie 08-05-2013 07:05 PM

I probably read it in the older threads. Im one of those rare people that search for a solution before making a "what size tire" thread...lol. The reason I asked is because I was getting 2 different answers and so far I have 2 replys with 2 different answers.:doh: I think Im going to go with the 1.75. I can always get the shocks if I need to.

012RAMbo 08-05-2013 07:35 PM

Mango is correct. I have a 1.5" spacer in the rear with no issues at all. Rides same as stock with my whole set up actually. 1.75" is fine also and 2'' is the max you would want to go. After that, you need longer shocks and a drop down bracket for the track bar to keep proper alignment in the rear. Keep in mind the rear suspension on a 4wd and 2wd are the same for 09-12, not sure about the '13 model. Hope that helps. Nice looking truck!

jutsinger 08-05-2013 11:25 PM

I just installed 2" HBS leveling on the front and now my truck is pretty much level. I am thinking about installing 1.5" back spacers because I am looking into picking up some more toys to hall in the back. How hard is the back spacer install compared to the front?

012RAMbo 08-05-2013 11:52 PM

The rear is fairly simple. The spacer I have goes on the bottom and is held in place by the coil spring compression. I took the rear tires off, put jack stands under the axle all the way down. Then loosened the bottom shock bolts and sway bar link bolts. Then jacked the body of the truck up until the springs fell out. Then I just slid in the spacers and reinstalled the other stuff. Took me and a buddy no more than 30 minutes to do the back. You could also rent a spring compressor and do it that way without unbolting the bottom shock and sway bar mounts. If you did the front you can easily tackle the rear no problem.

MamasLaramie 08-06-2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 012RAMbo (Post 1168936)
The rear is fairly simple. The spacer I have goes on the bottom and is held in place by the coil spring compression. I took the rear tires off, put jack stands under the axle all the way down. Then loosened the bottom shock bolts and sway bar link bolts. Then jacked the body of the truck up until the springs fell out. Then I just slid in the spacers and reinstalled the other stuff. Took me and a buddy no more than 30 minutes to do the back. You could also rent a spring compressor and do it that way without unbolting the bottom shock and sway bar mounts. If you did the front you can easily tackle the rear no problem.

What spacers are you running and where did you get them? The ones that I saw from TGC install at the top, not bottom.

012RAMbo 08-06-2013 08:19 PM

Mine are CST spacers. Got them from performance lifts com. They are in the 2wd ram section, but they will also fit 4wd. I think they have some readylift spacers on their site as well, but a bit more expensive. Some sit on the bottom and some go on the top. Just depends on which one you want, they both do the same thing.

usmcz28 08-07-2013 09:23 AM

Mine from RCX went in the top as well, I should have shopped around :4-dontknow: