DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram General Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Rust Protection in MN (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=149439)

MN13Laramie 08-05-2013 11:40 AM

Rust Protection in MN

So my last two trucks (1994 Nissan and 2002 Toyota Sequoia) started rusting through body panels around 10-11 years old. They were both undercoated at the dealer. They both had a lot of miles left in them, but once the body starts to get holes in it...

So I just picked up my '13 Laramie Friday (WOO HOO!) and I did not get the dealer installed undercoating, thinking I would like to find an independent dealer to do it, but that's turning out to be difficult to find. Does anyone have a good recommendation for this type of work in the US? It sounds like Canada has some great options, but I haven't seen anyone with a good recommendation in the US.

Also, I read in one post that any non-factory undercoating voids the factory warranty? Is this true?

Thanks for the help guys!
Mike

browndawg 08-05-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MN13Laramie (Post 1168202)
So my last two trucks (1994 Nissan and 2002 Toyota Sequoia) started rusting through body panels around 10-11 years old. They were both undercoated at the dealer. They both had a lot of miles left in them, but once the body starts to get holes in it...

So I just picked up my '13 Laramie Friday (WOO HOO!) and I did not get the dealer installed undercoating, thinking I would like to find an independent dealer to do it, but that's turning out to be difficult to find. Does anyone have a good recommendation for this type of work in the US? It sounds like Canada has some great options, but I haven't seen anyone with a good recommendation in the US.

Also, I read in one post that any non-factory undercoating voids the factory warranty? Is this true?

Mike

just trade up every 5yrs or so then boom problems solved. and u don't even have to spend money on undercoat. biggest thing in the salt belt is wash your vehicle frequently once the salt starts flying, at least once a week.

huntergreen 08-05-2013 02:01 PM

looks like you are close to canada? they have places called "crown" for rustproofing. hopefully one of our northern pals will chime in and give better info than i can.

anothernewb 08-05-2013 02:55 PM

I've debated this too. Considered going to one of the rhino or linex places and seeing if they will spray the whole underside of the truck.

if that fails, perhaps I can get them to spray the typical spots where dirt and snow seem to always sit.

MN13Laramie 08-05-2013 09:46 PM

Well, "close" to Canada is over 5 hours (Mpls to Thunder Bay)... Not sure I want to do that every year! It's one of those things that just doesn't seem to be expensive enough to be able to find someone really good at it...

emmyshemi 08-05-2013 09:49 PM

In Michigan, there is Ziebart. Had my 09 rustproofed, & under coated when new. They spray inside the doors and underneath. Once a year I bring it in for them to respray. They really did a nice job. If you looking to keep it for 10 years plus, get it done.

skytop 08-12-2013 04:56 PM

After market rust protection is pure B.S.
I remember back in 1982, I bought a new station wagon and had the most prominent "Rusty Jones" drill holes all over my brand new wagon and spray some anti rust crap into the holes and then plug'em up. I had these little plastic caps all over the vehicle and they promptly dried out, cracked and fell out. After 4 years, the car was as rusty as any untreated model.

There are only two proven rust protection methods.
#1) Anti rust zinc chromate chassis/body dipping at the factory prior to build and
#2) Moving to Arizona.

huntergreen 08-12-2013 08:31 PM

i hear arizona is nice.

MN13Laramie 08-12-2013 10:30 PM

If only I would get transferred there... No more snow... I'd miss snowmobiling, but I could always fly back for that!

skytop 08-13-2013 08:25 AM

When last I visited Aridzona, I looked at quite a few large auto salvage yards for parts.
I was astonished to see vehicles going back to the early 1940's that were totally intact and had only the lightest coat of uniform surface rust. This after being out in the weather for over 70 years! The muscle car metal from the '60's looked almost 'new' still with factory paint on it.

Amazing what 7% Arizona humidity cannot do to steel. Desert desiccation is good for steel.