DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram General Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   need some questions answered please!!! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=149543)

Cowboy-Elvis 08-06-2013 10:24 AM

need some questions answered please!!!

Ok, so I've always loved the RAMs, and am looking to get back into one. I've found a 99 ram 2500 v10, 108000 originalmiles. It's lifted 12" on 42's, custom tabbed fenders, bumper, and viper hood. It's fully loaded with leather. The asking price is 5500 PvP. Now, how is the v10, this would be my dd, I don't care about fuel and don't drive much, but what's common problems with the v10? I mean would this thing last me the next 3 years or so? I'm not looking to do heavy offroading, maybe take it to the beach or so. What things should I look for, or just walk away from this beast? Any help is greatly appreciated

gonefishin776 08-06-2013 10:40 AM

holy sheep shit batman. that's a huge truck. I'd be worried about looking into how the suspension and axels and all have held up with those big ass tires. i don't know much about the 2nd gen rams but I know the newer ones would never handle those tires and lift without some serious strong upgrades. I feel like the truck is more of a toy to take out and play with than a reliable DD.

I know it might be bad ass but doesn't send quite what you need. you can easily find a decent 2nd gen ram in good shape and make her your own with a little lift and some beefy tires to make more pleasant driving around and at the beach. the truck sounds like a headache waiting to happen.

just my opinion. would love to see pics of it tho!

Cowboy-Elvis 08-06-2013 10:53 AM

And my thoughts are along the same lines as that, but it was this girls brothers', he was a diesel mechanic, according to her all the axles and gears were replaced, the truck is an hour's drive away so I have to still check it out myself. It also comes with a set of 39's

skytop 08-06-2013 10:57 AM

You better have some real work waiting for a truck like that. How about climbing in and out for you and your honey? It is a thirsty beast and at over 100K, expect bearings an seals to need possibly need attention. Do a compression test on all cylinders and smell the oil in the engine and transmission for any burnt odors. Check differential levels to see if they were maintained. Of course, check for collision damage. Check for tire aging (cracks), brakes and shocks condition.

You should get a good reduction in price for such mileage. If after your inspection and drive test, you are are still prepared to understand that repairs may be needed, then go for it.
But most of all....be certain the truck is actually what you want and need. Don't be impulsive.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...WL._SX342_.jpg

gonefishin776 08-06-2013 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowboy-Elvis (Post 1169125)
And my thoughts are along the same lines as that, but it was this girls brothers', he was a diesel mechanic, according to her all the axles and gears were replaced, the truck is an hour's drive away so I have to still check it out myself. It also comes with a set of 39's

Good advice from the post before me about checking engine things

Well I would talk to him directly then if he was the one who did the maintenance. Not her, who knows if she knows what she is talking about. If you are serious about getting it, it is one of those trucks you need to make sure was modified correctly and not some backyard bozo welding parts together from old lawnmowers.

I was in this boat awhile ago and wanted a badass old truck. Then I realized they are for a 2nd vehicle to play with, not a DD. A toy is no big deal if it breaks, you let it sit until you can fix it up right. If it's your DD then you are screwed. Nothing wrong with a project truck that may or may not have issues that you can have fun and enjoy fixing up.

But, with all that...I'm not there, I'm not looking at the truck..I don't know what kind of shape it's in.

Cowboy-Elvis 08-06-2013 11:05 AM

Ok, I appreciate the information, I didn't think about the compression. It seems this truck was mostly a pavement pounder, with little off-road use, but I've gotta check the frame and everything else out to be sure. And you're kind of right skytop, it's part impulsive want for me to be back in a huge truck again instead of cramped Audi, but I'll definitely be sure to take all the advice and help I can get before spending5k on it

Cowboy-Elvis 08-06-2013 11:08 AM

Unfortunately can't talk to the original owner, he was killed in Iraq,hence why his sister is unfortunately selling it. I'm bringing my mechanic friends along to get extra eyes on it

skytop 08-06-2013 11:21 AM

Sometimes a big 'ol truck can be like a boat. Even with an apparent favorable purchase price, the real expense starts as the new owner.

Know what the word BOAT stands for? "Break Out Another Thousand"

...a word to the wise!

Cowboy-Elvis 08-06-2013 11:24 AM

Very true haha, well I'm in no rush to jump in, I'll post pics when I can, just seemed like this truck may be a good deal if I could get it for around 4500 or so

dodge man 08-06-2013 02:53 PM

Other than the usual mechanical things, engine, transmission, rust etc. I would also be worried about the lift and the quality of it. That is a big lift and some huge tires. Are you into that stuff? It might be a nice truck, but you couldn't give it to me with that much lift.