DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram General Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   New Member Needs Quick Advice - Differential Issue (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=149578)

Seadweller 08-06-2013 02:00 PM

New Member Needs Quick Advice - Differential Issue

Hi Everyone!

New member...We just bought my son his first vehicle, a 2003 Ram 1500 Quad Cab with Hemi engine and 113K miles...The truck is in spectacular condition for its age, and came with an excellent service history...We test drove it through neighborhoods, so never really got above 40MPH...Fortunately, we bought it from a dealer that offered a 60 day, unlimited mileage warranty...

Driving it home, I noticed a whine that seems to be coming from the rear end at speeds over 40MPH...It whines during cruise or mild acceleration, but stops when you lift your foot off the gas...I spent the better part of last night researching this, and it was an eye opener to see the issues with the 9.25 LSD in these trucks...Of course, I was up all night worrying about it...

I brought it to the dealer, and just spoke to the service writing a hour ago...He said they are "researching the issue, but it's likely normal for a vehicle of this age"...I don't believe there's anything normal about it, and furthermore, the whine will drive you nuts because the frequency cuts right through the stereo...I can't imagine an hour drive with that whine...

I'm guessing it's likely a pinion bearing, but of course I read about the dreaded clutch pack retainer clips as well...I don't believe the dealer has even taken the cover off the differential yet...I also have a 3 day period where I can give the truck back to the dealer, no questions asked, and that expires tomorrow...

What do you guys believe is the issue? I thought of making the dealer an offer; I'll pay for a Detroit DTT, if they install it and don't charge me for labor...I would imagine while the DTT is going in, a rebuild kit would also be in order (bearings, etc.)....

Any advice would be most appreciated, as I'm going to be out of runway soon...

Thanks!

bparsel 08-06-2013 02:40 PM

You're spot on with your diagnosis. It IS one of those 2 things :-)

My $$$ would be on the pinion bearing, but there is no way to be sure until they open it up. If its the pinion bearing you're looking at about $500 to rebuild the rear etc if the ring and pinion are still in good shape.

starquestbd22 08-06-2013 03:11 PM

If the whine is that pronounced then you are definitely correct about it not being normal. That sounds very shady for the service writer to tell you it was normal. That's BS!!

My guess would be the same. It's very likely one of those two issues. I'm not sure about the procedure for diagnosing a faulty pinion bearing but the clutch pack issue is easy enough to determine by simply pulling the cover. You will either find the clips still in place or swimming around in the diff fluid, possibly in pieces.

I think I would give them the option. Either diagnose it properly and to my standards or take it back. Sounds like a nice truck otherwise so I'm guessing you would rather not give it back but if you keep it as-is, be prepared to foot this bill yourself because it sounds like a certainty.

Seadweller 08-06-2013 05:59 PM

Thanks guys....

By the way, what's involved with rebuilding this particular differential? Is bearings and seals sufficient, or should the ring and pinion also be replaced? How about the LSD? Does it make sense to replace the seals and bearings and leave the factory LSD in place, or will the clutch pack retainer clips eventually break and take out the rear end?

I'm inclined to see if they'll rebuild the rear end, and throw in a DTT if I pay for the part...That would take care of things for many miles, right?

huntergreen 08-07-2013 12:41 AM

not normal, cant believe they said that.

bparsel 08-07-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seadweller (Post 1169550)
Thanks guys....

By the way, what's involved with rebuilding this particular differential? Is bearings and seals sufficient, or should the ring and pinion also be replaced? How about the LSD? Does it make sense to replace the seals and bearings and leave the factory LSD in place, or will the clutch pack retainer clips eventually break and take out the rear end?

I'm inclined to see if they'll rebuild the rear end, and throw in a DTT if I pay for the part...That would take care of things for many miles, right?

Standard would be Pinion bearings, and inner carrier bearings and seals. Its VERY rare for rear wheel bearings to need to be replaced on these trucks. Its impossible to say whether the ring and pinion, pack, spider gears etc will need to be replaced. Only way to know is to visually inspect them etc.

If they cover the cost of the rebuild then I would go for it. DTT is a great option if theyll agree to install it during the rebuild. In the grand scheme of things a rear end rebuild isnt really that big of a deal.

Seadweller 08-07-2013 02:57 PM

Thanks everyone...It's pretty frustrating to hear them tell me it’s “normal,” and to add insult to injury, they said they called the nearby Dodge dealer who also told them it was “normal”…I called the Dodge dealer near me who said it was absolutely not normal, so we have this back and forth banter going on…

I went to give them the truck back this morning, and they said they’ll send it down to the Dodge dealer and have the rear end taken care of, whatever it takes, so we’ll see what happens from here…I just hope the Dodge dealer doesn’t stick to their original position that the whine is normal…I asked that they have the Dodge tech call me to discuss the issue once they have the cover off…

Astartes 08-07-2013 04:27 PM

BULL SHIT. It is NOT normal, make them hold their end of the deal on the warranty and fix it.