DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram General Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Thinking about plasti-dip (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=149759)

ArmyofOne 08-07-2013 11:44 PM

Thinking about plasti-dip

On my up coming move back to Texas. This move will bring me south from Seattle to Vegas, the Hoover Dam, Lake Meade, Grand Canyon, and then east to Denton Texas, where I will be settling in the new home my wife and I are in the process of trying to buy, while I am attending University of North Texas.

Anywhoo, my idea is to plasti-dip EVERY forward facing painted and chrome surface on the truck about a week before I am due to leave. I will leave it on until I arrive at my destination and then simply peel it off, bugs and all.

My thinking here is that if I put it on thick enough, it will shield my FLAWLESS brilliant black metallic pearl paint from rock chips and dings on the trip. I was going to do the hood, grille, bumper, and fenders back to the doors.

Thoughts?

Canadian Hemi Pride 08-08-2013 12:34 AM

I am sure it will do more good then nothing and help form some level of protection. It will look a little funny, but hell if it helps then it is all good.

ArmyofOne 08-08-2013 01:00 AM

It wont look any worse than blue painters tape on my 06 civic for 4,000 miles LMAO!

RedSmart 08-08-2013 01:36 AM

Considering that Plasti-Dip only costs something like $6.00 in the US, I'd say Plasti-Dip it all.......well maybe not the wife!!

At $20.00 bucks a can up here, it would almost be cheaper to fix the one or two rock chips that you would get. LOL.......

Canadian Hemi Pride 08-08-2013 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSmart (Post 1171043)
Considering that Plasti-Dip only costs something like $6.00 in the US, I'd say Plasti-Dip it all.......well maybe not the wife!!

At $20.00 bucks a can up here, it would almost be cheaper to fix the one or two rock chips that you would get. LOL.......

19.99 at home depot and canadian tire :sad:.. performance shop sells for 16 bucks here.. then you get people on kijiji selling cheaper too.. I have a good amount of plasti-dipp on my truck.. Need 6 bucks cans:LOL:

And ya.. plasti-dipp will for sure look better then blue painters tape lol.

ArmyofOne 08-08-2013 01:48 AM

Its $5.99/ can at lowes, or I can nab it on sale for $4.99 a can at wally world. At that price, if you canucks pay shipping i can send it to ya, but by then you might as well buy it yourself LOL! I cant imagine I would need more than 5 cans or so to do the front end.

the persuader 08-08-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne (Post 1171054)
Its $5.99/ can at lowes, or I can nab it on sale for $4.99 a can at wally world. At that price, if you canucks pay shipping i can send it to ya, but by then you might as well buy it yourself LOL! I cant imagine I would need more than 5 cans or so to do the front end.

Really? I just got a can at Walmart and it was $13.88. I got screwed then... I haven't seen it online for less than $8 + shipping.

But it should work well for your application. Just tape everything off. Plastidip comes up easy with more coats, but the overspray can be a big of a pain to remove if its thin.

dodge.ram 08-08-2013 09:56 PM

As stated above make sure you put it on thick.

This stuff can take forever to get off if its on there too thin. If it goes on thick you can take it off in one piece if your lucky.

TheMeat54 08-08-2013 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the persuader (Post 1171517)
Really? I just got a can at Walmart and it was $13.88. I got screwed then... I haven't seen it online for less than $8 + shipping.

But it should work well for your application. Just tape everything off. Plastidip comes up easy with more coats, but the overspray can be a big of a pain to remove if its thin.

You folks have me all beat! Plasti dip runs $36.00 a can here in Canada at Home Depot nonetheless. The key to Plasti Dip and its removal is the number of coats you put on. From my experience with the product you have to apply 4 to 7 coats in order to have it peel off evenly. Check out YouTube and www.dipmyride.com for helpful tips and how to. :thk:

tev9999 08-09-2013 10:02 AM

Seems like massive overkill to me. You are going to spend hours and $$$ protecting it, then hours more peeling it off. You are really not at any more risk of a rock chip on a 2000 mile highway trip than you are in a month or two of driving around town. Unless you are going to be tailgating gravel haulers on dirt roads I really don't see a higher than normal risk. Of course the last "chip" I got in my hood was from a rock the size of a softball from a gravel hauler heading the opposite direction. Took out my hood, fender, A-pillar and windshield.