DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram General Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Question Regarding Trailer Tow Mirrors (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=149813)

jeffpa 08-08-2013 02:44 PM

Question Regarding Trailer Tow Mirrors

Hi Everyone -

I have a quick question I was hoping someone could answer for me...

Does anyone know how much farther the optional trailer tow mirrors stick out from the truck than the standard mirrors?

I know the standard mirrors are 6x9 and searched the forums and other on line sites and I found out that the trailer tow mirrors are 7x11, so I know right away that the trailer tow mirrors are 2 inches wider than the standard mirrors.

But it also appears that the "arm" of the trailer tow mirror is longer, too...that there is additional spacing between the door and the body of the mirror.

I currently drive a 2012 Longhorn with the standard 6x9 mirrors, but I want to upgrade to a 2013 Longhorn to get some of the new "bells and whistles". Unfortunately, most of the 2013 Longhorns that are out the right now with the bells and whistles that I want also include the trailer tow mirrors as an option.

I typically do not tow a trailer and, when I do, I borrow a small one from a friend and do not really need the trailer tow mirrors. But I do park my truck in the garage every night and my garage just barely fits the truck. I may be able to maneuver the additional two inches of the trailer tow mirror body, but if there is an additional 2 or 3 inches of "arm" length between the mirror and the door, it may make it difficult for me to be able to live with the trailer tow mirrors on a daily basis.

Anyone that knows about how much additional distance we are talking about between the door and the edge of the mirror, your input would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!

- Jeff D. - Pittsburgh, PA

AzDusty 08-08-2013 03:40 PM

From what I seen, the tow mirrors actually swivel up so you have an up and down and that extends them out a bit. I can provide a bit more when I get my truck in a couple hours (2013 Laramie Longhorn) not sure why it causes the deletion of the power folding mirrors though :(

White1 08-09-2013 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffpa (Post 1171470)
Hi Everyone -

I have a quick question I was hoping someone could answer for me...

Does anyone know how much farther the optional trailer tow mirrors stick out from the truck than the standard mirrors?

I know the standard mirrors are 6x9 and searched the forums and other on line sites and I found out that the trailer tow mirrors are 7x11, so I know right away that the trailer tow mirrors are 2 inches wider than the standard mirrors.

But it also appears that the "arm" of the trailer tow mirror is longer, too...that there is additional spacing between the door and the body of the mirror.

I currently drive a 2012 Longhorn with the standard 6x9 mirrors, but I want to upgrade to a 2013 Longhorn to get some of the new "bells and whistles". Unfortunately, most of the 2013 Longhorns that are out the right now with the bells and whistles that I want also include the trailer tow mirrors as an option.

I typically do not tow a trailer and, when I do, I borrow a small one from a friend and do not really need the trailer tow mirrors. But I do park my truck in the garage every night and my garage just barely fits the truck. I may be able to maneuver the additional two inches of the trailer tow mirror body, but if there is an additional 2 or 3 inches of "arm" length between the mirror and the door, it may make it difficult for me to be able to live with the trailer tow mirrors on a daily basis.

Anyone that knows about how much additional distance we are talking about between the door and the edge of the mirror, your input would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!

- Jeff D. - Pittsburgh, PA

Wondering that same thing myself...

Parkersdad 08-09-2013 07:51 AM

If they are like the ones on my 2500 they are way longer. I would say a good 5 to 6" longer when flipped up. Down they are longer as well.

CanuckHRAM 08-09-2013 11:20 AM

Hey jeffpa,

I just ran out and quickly measured a towing mirror on my 2011 Outdoorsman.

Because of the different shapes & angles, if I measure from the top of the
mirror (not extended) to the door frame metal, it is approx. 7.5 inches. Measuring from the bottom of the mirror to the door glass, it is approx. 6 inches.

Now, if I measure from the door frame to the outermost point of the unextended mirror (this is measuring across at the middle of the mirror from top to bottom), it is approx. 18.5 inches. If I now extend the mirror and measure from door frame to the outermost point, it is approx. 22.5 inches.

My previous 2003 Ram 4x4 had regular mirrors. I really noticed how wide these towing mirrors are on my 2011. Takes a little getting used to plus you really have to
be careful when parking in your garage. These trailer mirrors are great for towing though!!

Good luck.

fishwater 08-10-2013 07:31 AM

Without a doubt they are a few inches longer. I just went through the same car wash I've been going through for two years prior with my 2010 without tow mirrors. My new 2013 with tow mirrors now have the scratches to prove it, not happy at all. Anyway, get the power fold in mirror option or plan on folding your mirrors in every night.

Champ1264 08-11-2013 01:01 PM

My 2013 has one option I did not want, the optional trailer tow mirrors. I can measure the width for you but I can tell you that unless you're towing a wide camper, you probably don't need them. It is true, they stick out a few 5? inches than the standard ones, even more if you flip them up.

The biggest problem with them? YOU LOSE THE POWER FOLDING FEATURE. So getting in a garage is going to require you to fold the extra wide mirrors in by hand.

I tow a bass boat that is about as wide as the truck and even covered I can tell you I don't need the mirrors.

Champ1264 08-11-2013 01:07 PM

One more thing. Another thread buried on this site somewhere asked if they could be changed back to the power fold standard mirrors. Although the dealers have tried, they can't get the vehicle's computer to recognize the folding option.

WhiskeyRodeo 08-12-2013 10:47 AM

I have and lurve the tow mirrors, but that is just my opinion, I could see the issues if you had to get into a small garage.