DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (
-   Washing & Waxing (
-   -   Polish for the plastic chrome grill (

markjr 08-09-2013 11:57 AM

Polish for the plastic chrome grill
Hey all, I've looked on here and haven't found a direct answer. Can you use Turtle wax chrome polish ( or I would rather have something that somebody used from mcquires line of products ) for my grill and plastic clad wheels. I use to throw the cleaner to it, but now I'm afraid if I use it, I'll end up with either the finish gone or a hole ate in it. Yeah they look good, but it is pretend metal. I just wanted to hear from experience rather read on a can. Thanks.

Chunkem 08-09-2013 02:28 PM

I would be sending Primospaghetti a PM and inquire...He is the resident expert and is very helpful...He may be able to recommend some products that you haven't heard of before that work wonders....Great member to speak to.....

anothernewb 08-09-2013 03:01 PM

I normally just use regular car wash and wax, and use the really fine headlight polish if it seems a tad dull.

ArmyofOne 08-09-2013 07:31 PM

DOnt use chrome polish on anything except real chrome. it is very acidic and can etch your finish on plastics, paint and even stainless steel.

Use any car wash soap and wax, if you have swirls or scratches in it you can use a mild compound. If you are looking for the best quality stuff you can get in a retail store, meguiar's is what you need.

Turtle Wax made awesome stuff 30 years ago. Today's auto finishes require much more sophisticated products. Throw that turtle wax in the garbage, its useless on any of today's chrome with the exception of the bumpers on big horn and laramie trucks. and again, for that I recommend a good quality wax and wash.

HemiBoss 08-09-2013 08:36 PM

I use Mothers chrome polish on mine, no issues and it looks great

primo spaghetti 08-09-2013 08:49 PM

thanks for the kudos Ed.

first, i would get your chrome nice and clean, and then coat them with a wax or sealant and cleaning will be a snap in the future. then you run little risk of needed harsh chemicals to clean in the future.

if they are in need of a good cleaning, ive had great success with p21s polishing soap (available on line or at any motorcycle/harley shop under the name s100), or some eagle one never dull polishing wadding. this stuff is awesome. i rmeember my granny used to use it to polish her silverware.

if gentle cleaning is required, i like p21s wheel cleaner for the chrome clads, or an all purpose cleaner/bug cleaner for the grill. Duragloss comes to mind and is easily available at auto parts stores in the USA.

once clean, i would coat with either a high temp wax like collonite, or a coating like rejex, opti coat or cquartz, and all you will need to clean in the future will likely be soap and water, or a detail spray.

markjr 08-09-2013 11:46 PM

Thanks all, I'm glad I didn't use the Turtle wax chrome polish, I came really close. I appreciate your responses. Thanks again.

Leadfootluke 08-14-2013 07:27 PM

I second what others have said in regards to avoiding metal polishes on plastic. Because it is not real chrome, you can't treat it like chrome. For what it's worth, polishing soap works fantastic [I would reserve it for metal finishes though].

rdm1465 01-03-2014 12:33 AM

For the grill, I was considering using Turtle wax "ICE" LIQUID polish. I have used it on my Yukon, Corvette, and Challenger. I haven't used it on the 1500 yet. My reasoning is this, it doesn't turn white or chalky, and does not build up. Used it on the Challenger's stripes without any damage, used on chrome , paint. All was good.