DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2014 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=247)
-   -   Electric Fold Mirrors or Tow Mirrors? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=149916)

DDorr 08-09-2013 02:34 PM

Electric Fold Mirrors or Tow Mirrors?

Anyone have experience with either of these and have a preference? I am leaning towards the stock power fold mirrors.:smileup::smiledown:

Yankee 08-09-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DDorr (Post 1172407)
Anyone have experience with either of these and have a preference? I am leaning towards the stock power fold mirrors.:smileup::smiledown:

Thats what i have on mine, errr...will have........frankly unless you plan to tow something gigantic, or, simply like the look of em, those tow mirrors are gigantic....

Designflaw 08-09-2013 02:48 PM

I have experience with both, If your not towing big trailers, or need the Convex, the Power folds are really nice

Hermes1 08-11-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yankee (Post 1172411)
Thats what i have on mine, errr...will have........frankly unless you plan to tow something gigantic, or, simply like the look of em, those tow mirrors are gigantic....

Spot on. Tow mirrors are huge and only worth it if towing and frankly, unless towing a lot I would stick with the stock and use add on tow mirrors when occasionally towing.

crabjoe 08-11-2013 12:14 PM

I was the tow mirrors all the time. I use them to knock bikers off their bikes.. LOL

Honestly, they come standard on my order because it's a 3500. Even if I never towed, I'd still want them. I like the real estate ... much easier to see stuff, especially in the blind spots, and I think the look nicer... As long as they're not pushed up, in the tow position.

KnuckleHead 08-11-2013 04:33 PM

I got the tow mirrors on my 1500. I went back and forth with the decision. They are huge, that's for sure! In the end, they were included with the tow package on the 14's so I went with them. I figured worst case I could probably figure out how to swap them out with the standards.

SM259 08-12-2013 04:51 PM

I had the same thought process on swapping them out with the standard power fold mirrors when I was trying to find an already built 2013 Laramie model. I was told by the dealership it's not possible. They didn't give an explanation why, just said you can't do it. It's probably not too late to remove the optional tow group and I believe you can add the trailer brake controller afterward. There may be a link on the 2013 Ram site where someone talked about doing that? Just a thought.

KnuckleHead 08-12-2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SM259 (Post 1174672)
I had the same thought process on swapping them out with the standard power fold mirrors when I was trying to find an already built 2013 Laramie model. I was told by the dealership it's not possible. They didn't give an explanation why, just said you can't do it. It's probably not too late to remove the optional tow group and I believe you can add the trailer brake controller afterward. There may be a link on the 2013 Ram site where someone talked about doing that? Just a thought.

Yeah, this thread got me thinking about them again and I called my dealer a couple hours ago. He is looking into the options for getting the hitch without the tow mirrors. I will post up what I find out.

ProjectPat919 08-12-2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnuckleHead (Post 1174677)
Yeah, this thread got me thinking about them again and I called my dealer a couple hours ago. He is looking into the options for getting the hitch without the tow mirrors. I will post up what I find out.

It is possible. I had the Sport I built with the dealer built that way. The hitch, mirrors, trailer brake can all be added separately as options.

XFH - Class IV hitch
XHC - Trailer brake control

The Crow 1994 08-12-2013 05:27 PM

I probably won't ever tow with my truck, so I didn't need the tow mirrors. I love the power folding option on the regular mirrors. I utilize this feature whenever I'm parking somewhere where I can't find an open area away from all the other vehicles.