DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   leaf springs (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=149982)

Fnordian 08-10-2013 09:48 AM

leaf springs

Hi all,

I'm brand new to this forum, so if I slip up or ask a stupid question, please don't flame too hard :LOL:

I was told by a shop that I need to replace my leaf springs.

Is getting some from a junkyard a smart option for a very strapped college student, or should I bite the bullet and get them new?

Anyone know of where I could locate some on the cheap?

'99 Ram 1500 SLT Laramie 5.9 with 138k miles on it.

Thanks in advance!

:smiley_thumbs_up:

the persuader 08-10-2013 04:02 PM

Personally, I'd just get a set from a junk yard. I'd also replace the bushings while you have them out.

Mcj.kd0hzi 08-10-2013 06:49 PM

replacing leaf springs

Hello. so I am also trying to replace my leaf springs on a '96 Ram 1500 4x4. does anyone have a good trick to actually being able to get to nuts and bolts off so that you can replace them?

I have a replacment set that came from a 2nd gen Ram 3500. so yes I know these will probably make the rearend ride rougher.

but a thought I had is...these replacment ones are still bolted to the brackets that are normally riveted to the frame....would it work to just get the rivets cut off on my truck...and then put in hardend steel bolts to replace the rivets...so that that way the bolts dont have to come off that actually hold the leafs to the brakets?

Sorry if this is a dumb question. . but I thought this might be an easier way to replace them.

Okiespaniels 08-10-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mcj.kd0hzi (Post 1173341)
Hello. so I am also trying to replace my leaf springs on a '96 Ram 1500 4x4. does anyone have a good trick to actually being able to get to nuts and bolts off so that you can replace them?

I have a replacment set that came from a 2nd gen Ram 3500. so yes I know these will probably make the rearend ride rougher.

but a thought I had is...these replacment ones are still bolted to the brackets that are normally riveted to the frame....would it work to just get the rivets cut off on my truck...and then put in hardend steel bolts to replace the rivets...so that that way the bolts dont have to come off that actually hold the leafs to the brakets?

Sorry if this is a dumb question. . but I thought this might be an easier way to replace them.

Interesting...you do know that 1500 springs are 2.5 inches wide and 3500 springs are 3.0 inches wide right?

This isn't an issue if you intend on replacing both front AND rear spring hangers with the 3500 ones...it will require you to remove the gas tank and most likely relocate the spring perches on your rear differential as well. This will require a proficient welder.

If you'd rather not do all that simply cut the bolts off the 1500 springs with a swazall and replace with new ones.

Okiespaniels 08-10-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fnordian (Post 1172978)
Hi all,

I'm brand new to this forum, so if I slip up or ask a stupid question, please don't flame too hard :LOL:

I was told by a shop that I need to replace my leaf springs.

Is getting some from a junkyard a smart option for a very strapped college student, or should I bite the bullet and get them new?

Anyone know of where I could locate some on the cheap?

'99 Ram 1500 SLT Laramie 5.9 with 138k miles on it.

Thanks in advance!

What is wrong with your springs? Are they broken or just sagging?
If they're sagging...
I think BDS still makes a 3 inch AAL for your truck. I'd buy that and install it. You won't have to remove your springs but you will have to disassemble your spring pack so you'll need to drop your differential.

Fnordian 08-11-2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okiespaniels (Post 1173372)
What is wrong with your springs? Are they broken or just sagging?
If they're sagging...
I think BDS still makes a 3 inch AAL for your truck. I'd buy that and install it. You won't have to remove your springs but you will have to disassemble your spring pack so you'll need to drop your differential.

Thank you!

Let's pretend for a moment that I'm not super mechanically savvy and I have no idea what half of that means... could you dumb it down a bit for someone who doesn't know what AAL, spring pack or "dropping my differential" means?

Thank you for your patience :)

the persuader 08-12-2013 12:21 AM

AAL is an add a leaf. It will add a little lift to your truck and can strengthen your springs.

Spring pack is all the leaf springs for one side.

Dropping the differential is just removing the u bolts on the springs and lowering your rear axle to gain clearance so you can add or remove springs from the pack.

Hope this helps.

Fnordian 08-12-2013 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the persuader (Post 1174214)
AAL is an add a leaf. It will add a little lift to your truck and can strengthen your springs.

Dropping the differential is just removing the u bolts on the springs and lowering your rear axle to gain clearance so you can add or remove springs from the pack.

Hope this helps.

Indeed it does, thank you for taking the time to explain.

What advantages or disadvantages would adding a little lift do for the truck if I'm not doing anything off the road?

the persuader 08-12-2013 11:03 PM

The advantages in your case would be that your springs would be closer to the arch they had when they were new. The truck won't squat as much with a load.

There are no real disadvantages, other than maybe a little stiffer ride.

Okiespaniels 08-13-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the persuader (Post 1174214)

Hope this helps.

I'm not sure I want to "dumb this down" too much more. You'll need to remove your differential entirely from the bolts holding it to the spring pack. You'll need to replace those bolts because they are stretch to torque.
I would recommend clamping the leaves with c clamps then cutting the small bolt in the center of the spring pack. This wiil relieve the springs but the clamps should keep them from flying about.
Remove the clamps and insert the AAL where it belongs in the pack and then reverse the above processes...

BTW if you don't have the jacks and stands or tools to properly do this...don't!