DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   Snow Plow on a 1500??? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=150038)

Brianr88 08-10-2013 08:58 PM

Snow Plow on a 1500???

All the snow plow applications I have seen so far require cutting/notching the bottom of the front bumper. Does anyone know of a plow application that will not have the need to notch the bumper. If anyone has mounted a snow plow successfully, I'd be interested in the details. I am under the assumption that we're not suppose to mount a snow plow on a 1500. I was hoping a set of Billstein shocks would level it off and help with the plow setup. Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

huntergreen 08-14-2013 06:24 PM

i wouldn't plow on the front of a 1500. our 1500 trucks are not like the 1500s of 10 years ago. now i might consider the small light plows that go into a front hitch mount mount.

herc 08-16-2013 07:49 PM

I have one on my '11 1500 Laramie Quad Cab and it does fine. I also had one on my last 1500 Ram, a '98 Quad Cab. Actually, I still have both, but the old one's at a cottage.

The '98 was a bit beefier in the font, and handled a Boss 7'6" Standard duty very nicely. I never did anything like commercial plowing with it, just driveways. But, it did an awesome job, and could get through some pretty deep and nasty stuff.

The '11 is squishier and normally quite a bit lower in the front end, so I went lighter duty and got a Western HTS. There are some things I like better on the older Boss, but the HTS does fine.

As far as I know, the only bumper mods made on the '11 were to the lower fascia piece, which had to be cut a bit. One of the major advantages on the Western, compared to the Boss though, is that the Western has separate receiver pieces that can come off. It only takes a couple seconds to take them off, so I always do. When the plow and receivers are off, the front end doesn't look all that much different than it did before. The frame on the boss, on the other hand, is a big honkin' chunk of frame that hangs down under the bumper.

The HTS is also a LOT lighter, and that's really nice driving it around. To tell you the truth, driving around with the plow on isn't a whole lot different than it feels with it off. The boss was a beast in that regard. It weighs about 650 pounds, and it's hanging way out in front of the truck. The HTS is about 450 pounds.

In addition to being a little lighter gauge steel for the blade, it's also mounted quite a bit closer to the truck. That means it also can't be raised as high, and doesn't turn as far side to side. At first, I was concerned that I wasn't going to be able to stack snow as well, but this past winter, I ended up with some piles that were taller than me. You just need to get a little more creative in how you go about it.

I did have to put a leveling kit on the front of the '11 which I really didn't want, but oh well. The truck is too low without it, and made attaching and detaching really difficult. My plow dealer did the install, the level kit, and also put Timbrens on the front springs. I don't think I'd ever do a plow again without the Timbrens. They really smooth things out and help carry it. Again, as it's set up now, the front hardly settles at all when the plow is raised. I think the Bilsteins would be better than the level kit, but I think I'd still get the Timbrens. They didn't cost all that much.

The only thing about the Western that I don't like is that doesn't rotate vertically on its center very well. When you turn the plow to one side, and then drop it, the low side hits first, and then kind of torques the truck a bit. Sitting still, the other side actually sits up in the air a bit. As soon as you start moving, there's plenty of pressure to get the high side down, so you don't leave snow or anything like that. I think the real problem there is twofold. First, the front end is still on the lower end of height that makes for level plowing. Second, I know that the installer didn't get everything completely straight. If I had to guess, a better install would've corrected what I'm seeing.

When it snows, I put it on, plow about 3 driveways, and take it off. On/off is really easy and very quick. Not as automatic as the boss, but simpler, more reliable, and actually faster.

Overall, a 1500 certainly isn't as sturdy as a 2500, but you just need to use common sense. Slow and steady, and don't plan on using it to make a living. Check out the videos on the Western site. I can assure you that mine will do everything they show in the video, no sweat.

huntergreen 08-16-2013 08:59 PM

not buying this, the front end components are not stout enough for the new england storms of the last couple years.

herc 08-16-2013 10:18 PM

Here's another thread that helped steer me to my own choice.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=61306

Not asking you to buy anything. Just reporting my own first hand experience.

huntergreen 08-17-2013 06:39 PM

wasn't trying to be a d***K , but i have seen how our light duty truck holds up to plowing in north jersey. the op in RI gets worse storms than i do. your 98 is much stouter than our 4th gens.

herc 08-17-2013 07:58 PM

The majority of my post was talking about the '11 Laramie 1500 with the HTS, not the '98. And perhaps you've never been to Wisconsin in the winter, or Traverse City, MI for that matter, where Steve was from in the other thread I linked.

huntergreen 08-17-2013 09:07 PM

been ti mi........don't want to argue, plow away. just would't do it with my truck with a hd plow.

herc 08-17-2013 09:45 PM

I wouldn't want to do it with your truck and an "HD" plow either, and if you don't want to argue, why do you keep frickin arguing?

OP asked a legitimate question, and was looking for someone that might know anything. I gave him direct first hand answers about an effective non-commercial setup that works well on a truck almost identical to his. That's what we do here.

ExpensiveToys 08-18-2013 01:37 PM

Whether we like it or not, the 1500 is considered a light duty truck and as such has limitations to what the suspension and drive train can handle. Pushing it beyond the recommendations of the manufacture in ways that void the vehicle warranty always has to be assessed by its risk, benefits and costs.

I plow with my 3500 not my 1500 because my 3500 was designed to be able to plow, my 1500 was not. Just as I pull my hay wagon with my horses and not my dogs. Sure I could load the wagon light, give my dogs some caffeine, tie a cat to the end of a stick, and it might work. But doesn't make it a great idea if I care about my dogs. Regardless of what you ask on these forums there will always be some who think its a good idea and others that say it isn't. Sometimes I swear I asked if I hooked a hang glider to back of my ram, if it would fly.....someone would say "yep, done it, works great". So you will always have to look at answers with a grain of salt and determine for yourself what you are willing to risk vs the reward.

Using a 4th gen 1500 for plowing comes into the area of what I think as "more likely than not". Based on design limitations of the light duty truck you are more likely than not to cause some kind of damage to your truck. Which is why the manufacturer recommends against it. Sure you could be careful, only plow a few inches at time, but the simple catching of a lip of the plow is more likely that not to damage frame/suspension on a 1500.

Even though my statement of "don't think its a good idea" is echoed by the manufacturer, its is nothing more than just another opinion based on my own risk/benefit assessment. I don't think its any more valid than anyone else's opinion here as everyone makes their own risk/benefit decisions. So I figure I would at least explain how I go around my risk/benefit assessment for my mods as that is the only way I think I could add value here.

I have a CAI and a catch can on my 1500. Neither are carb compliant, which means I know I am more likely than not to fail a visual inspection and will have to remove them prior to vehicle sale or detailed inspection. Removal and reinstallation doesn't take that long, so for me the benefits of the mods outweigh the risk and potential future cost (my time to remove them). By the same measure I won't do a cat delete on my 1500. As I am more likely than not to fail a visual inspection and a failure of visual inspection for CATs comes with a potential $2500 fine, and the benefits of the CAT delete doesn't (for me) outweigh the potential fine and or time to put CAT's back in. If you had the money laying around to pay the fine, or had minions on hand to swap your CATs in and out, then you might delete them as your risk/benefit assessment would be different than mine.

By the same measure, damage to the front frame rails and/or IFS on the front of the 1500 are very pricey repairs. Which means that by trying to push the 1500 pasts its recommended limitations you would need to figure out the benefit, risks, and costs. Is the benefit of being able to plow with the 1500 worth the risk and potential costs associated with invalidating your drivetrain warranty and or repairing the frame or suspension? That is a personal decision you have to make for yourself. As othesr have decided the benefits were worth the risks, and others (such as myself) decided it wasn't.