DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.2L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=161)
-   -   92 D150 no start (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=150092)

ram86 08-11-2013 04:38 PM

92 D150 no start

I been looking at this it has a 5.2 and no fuel pressure, no spark, and the asd relay isn't clicking on when key is turned on, and all the fuse links underhood on drivers side below the relays is good. could this problem be the ignigtion switch or does anybody on here have electrical diagrams?

Gen1dak 08-14-2013 11:54 PM

Starter relay. small silver box on driver side inner fender near ASD and other relays.

ram86 08-16-2013 07:34 AM

Thanks Gen1dak. my diagnosis to this point is the problem lies in the ground circuit of the asd relay. there is ign., and battery current. but no output and that is because there is no ground. when i ground the relay it the output comes on. but it still doesn't crank, it has fuel pressure when i ground it but no spark from the coil. I suspect the comp.

Gen1dak 08-16-2013 07:29 PM

When you say it doesn't crank, do you mean the starter isn't engaging, or it IS engaging, but the engine just spins with no life?

ram86 08-17-2013 10:46 AM

Sorry about that, my bad and i even new better. Crank means to turn over and no start means just that. It.s a no start, it's cranks over fine.

Nabby 08-23-2013 06:33 PM

I don't know how different your 92 is from my 91, but my 91 FSM states: "The engine controller monitors the distributor pick-up signal to determine engine speed and compute injector synchronization. If the controller does not receive a distributor signal when the ignition switch is in the RUN position it will de-energize (remove ground) the ASD relay. Battery voltage will not be supplied to the fuel pump, fuel injectors, ignition coil, and O2 sensor heater element. The engine controller energizes the ignition coil through the ASD relay. The engine controller will not energize the ASD relay until it receives input from the distributor pick-up."

Gen1dak 08-24-2013 03:21 AM

It's kind of a chicken or the egg thing. If the camshaft position sensor, aka distributor pickup, is bad, you'll get no signal to the computer which kills the ASD. However, a bad computer will also lead to a no-power ground for the ASD.

ram86 08-27-2013 09:57 PM

another thing to add to this is there also is no check engine light.

Nabby 09-01-2013 02:59 AM

You can still try checking for stored codes, I forget how it's done, something to do with turning the key on and off a few times and the CEL will blink codes at you.

RogerRamJet 09-01-2013 04:09 AM

Cycle the key 3 times. Starting in the off position, turn in on, off, on, off, on and leave it. Have a pencil and paper ready because the cluster will flash any codes. Say it has code 438 stored. The light will flash four times, then pause, 3 times then pause, 8 times then pause. It will repeat the sequence, I think 3 times, or until you turn the key off.