DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What gears work best?? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=150154)

FloridaRam 08-12-2013 09:32 AM

What gears work best??

I have a '12 Ram 1500 and am looking into changing the gears in the rear end based on advice from this forum it seems like this will help me with acceleration and overall low end torque. I currently have the 3.55 gears and want to know what gearing I should look into for my application? I dont do alot of towing but do occasionally once a month tow a 20 ft. boat but my main driving is around town and highway miles.

gonefishin776 08-12-2013 09:59 AM

if you don't tow or run big tires I see no reason to spend the money on a gear change. I don't think the results will outweigh the costs.

main reasons for changing gears are guys who run big heavy tires to help turn them better or guys that are modding their truck to be fast at the track.
daily driving I don't think you'd be satisfied with a gear change. that's just my opinion and something to think about. plus if you are 4wd then you have to change front and rear gears and I think a gear swap in a 2012 is a bit complicated and more expensive because of the carrier.

FloridaRam 08-12-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonefishin776 (Post 1174389)
if you don't tow or run big tires I see no reason to spend the money on a gear change. I don't think the results will outweigh the costs.

main reasons for changing gears are guys who run big heavy tires to help turn them better or guys that are modding their truck to be fast at the track.
daily driving I don't think you'd be satisfied with a gear change. that's just my opinion and something to think about. plus if you are 4wd then you have to change front and rear gears and I think a gear swap in a 2012 is a bit complicated and more expensive because of the carrier.

Thanks for the quick response! I see what you mean about maybe not being worth it now within the next 3 months I will be towing @ a 10ft enclosed trailer on a regular basis with tools so I'm trying to get ideas for the future on what might make that an easier job for my truck besides swapping a HEMI in it! :LOL:

gonefishin776 08-12-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FloridaRam (Post 1174418)
Thanks for the quick response! I see what you mean about maybe not being worth it now within the next 3 months I will be towing @ a 10ft enclosed trailer on a regular basis with tools so I'm trying to get ideas for the future on what might make that an easier job for my truck besides swapping a HEMI in it! :LOL:

Ohh okay. well I suggest 4.10 from your current 3.55. I'm not familiar with looking at gears with respect to towing, but I'd imagine you want the taller gears for stop/go pulling that thing. I don't think a jump to 4.56 would be necessary. i've heard 3.55 to 3.92 is not a noticeable difference so go to 4.10

HemiLonestar 08-12-2013 08:57 PM

Gears always help with towing and acceleration; the downside is the loss of fuel economy on the highway.

izzy 08-15-2013 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiLonestar (Post 1174931)
the downside is the loss of fuel economy on the highway.

can you explain this to me im not that smart.

gonefishin776 08-15-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by izzy (Post 1176968)
can you explain this to me im not that smart.

"It's the ratio of how many times the drive shaft turns to how many times the axle turns and is set up by choosing how many teeth are on the ring and pinion gears.

Bottom line, the higher the ratio, the more power (Torque actually) at the rear wheels, also the higher your engine runs (RPM's) and the poorer your gas mileage.

btw - higher ratio is reffered to as lower gearing (geared down) and lower ratio is reffered to as higher gearing ... nice and confusing eh?

example, with a 4.10 gear set, the ratio is 4.10 to 1 so for every 4.1turns of the driveshaft, the rear axle will be turned one time and you will have a torque advantage of 4.1x
On the flip side for every say 10 turns of the wheels, your drive shaft will turn 41 times & your engine has to turn 41 times in high gear (not overdrive).
With a 3.70 gear, your Torque advantage is 3.7 times but now if your wheels turn 10 times, your drive shaft and engine will only turn 37 times. As with everything auto, always a trade off."

-disclaimer, not my words. explanation from someone else

izzy 08-15-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonefishin776 (Post 1177008)
"It's the ratio of how many times the drive shaft turns to how many times the axle turns and is set up by choosing how many teeth are on the ring and pinion gears.

Bottom line, the higher the ratio, the more power (Torque actually) at the rear wheels, also the higher your engine runs (RPM's) and the poorer your gas mileage.

btw - higher ratio is reffered to as lower gearing (geared down) and lower ratio is reffered to as higher gearing ... nice and confusing eh?

example, with a 4.10 gear set, the ratio is 4.10 to 1 so for every 4.1turns of the driveshaft, the rear axle will be turned one time and you will have a torque advantage of 4.1x
On the flip side for every say 10 turns of the wheels, your drive shaft will turn 41 times & your engine has to turn 41 times in high gear (not overdrive).
With a 3.70 gear, your Torque advantage is 3.7 times but now if your wheels turn 10 times, your drive shaft and engine will only turn 37 times. As with everything auto, always a trade off."

-disclaimer, not my words. explanation from someone else

Holy crap thats confusing:LOL:
BTW: thanks for trying lol

gonefishin776 08-15-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by izzy (Post 1177121)
Holy crap thats confusing:LOL:
BTW: thanks for trying lol

It's really not...but okay.

here is another good explanation.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...s/viewall.html

izzy 08-20-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonefishin776 (Post 1177154)
It's really not...but okay.

here is another good explanation.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...s/viewall.html

thanks man this actually helped alot

Quote:

Gearing Lingo
Lower gears are higher numerically; they provide more of a mechanical advantage and cause the engine to spin more rpm per mph than higher gears. Higher gears are lower numerically; they provide less mechanical advantage and cause the engine to turn less rpm per mph than lower gears. Hence, 3.50:1 gears are higher than 4.10:1 gears, but lower than 3.08:1 gears.
especially that part