DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2014 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=247)
-   -   Need opinions: Hemi w/8-speed or wait for Eco Diesel (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=150176)

Tshepp 08-12-2013 01:16 PM

Need opinions: Hemi w/8-speed or wait for Eco Diesel
 
Hello Everyone, I am a new guy to the forum and looking to build/buy my first Ram. I was looking at a CC Hemi Sport before I found out about the Eco Diesel model. I am now caught in a small predicament in what to do now that I have read up on this model. I won't be doing any trailer hauling, I'm mainly just looking for a daily driver with 35s and a small lift (maybe 6" Zone). I know that the Sport will not offer the Eco Diesel which kinda stinks because I love the look of the Sport. Also, the Hemi will be a much cheaper purchase price and I expect would get fairly close to the same MPG once I add rims/tires and a lift.

I am curious as to what you would all do in my situation?

Option A) Get a great deal on a year end 2013 Hemi w/8-speed or Option B) Wait for Eco Diesel

Thank you in advance for your input/advice!

Franc944 08-12-2013 01:24 PM

Unless you drive over 15,000 miles a year stick with the Hemi.

I got a 13' Hemi 8 speed air sus and rambox with tasty rebates and love it! I do not regret not getting the diesel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tshepp (Post 1174556)
Hello Everyone, I am a new guy to the forum and looking to build/buy my first Ram. I was looking at a CC Hemi Sport before I found out about the Eco Diesel model. I am now caught in a small predicament in what to do now that I have read up on this model. I won't be doing any trailer hauling, I'm mainly just looking for a daily driver with 35s and a small lift (maybe 6" Zone). I know that the Sport will not offer the Eco Diesel which kinda stinks because I love the look of the Sport. Also, the Hemi will be a much cheaper purchase price and I expect would get fairly close to the same MPG once I add rims/tires and a lift.

I am curious as to what you would all do in my situation?

Option A) Get a great deal on a year end 2013 Hemi w/8-speed or Option B) Wait for Eco Diesel

Thank you in advance for your input/advice!


crabjoe 08-12-2013 02:28 PM

I'd get the diesel. 35s are really hard on truck. The diesel will have an easier time getting them turning because of of the low end torque...

Basically, your performance won't suffer as much compared to the Hemi....

crabjoe 08-12-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franc944 (Post 1174566)
Unless you drive over 15,000 miles a year stick with the Hemi.

I got a 13' Hemi 8 speed air sus and rambox with tasty rebates and love it! I do not regret not getting the diesel.

I don't think you can really make that a true statement until you've driven a diesel.. I don't think anyone can. Right now, it's all speculation on how this new diesel will perform.

Me, I think he should get the diesel based on what I know of them, but I could be completely wrong...

Tshepp 08-12-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crabjoe (Post 1174584)
I'd get the diesel. 35s are really hard on truck. The diesel will have an easier time getting them turning because of of the low end torque...

Basically, your performance won't suffer as much compared to the Hemi....

This is what comes more into play I guess; if I am going to do 35s or 37s I wonder if it would be better on the diesel vs Hemi. I see many members already run 35s and 37s on the Hemi though but expect that MPG would fall off quicker on the Hemi...Anyone else?

skytop 08-12-2013 07:52 PM

Every big diesel truck I have owned could pull a building off its foundation but they NEVER felt fast. Lot's of torque but the 'speed' was absent. I would think the LITTLE Italian diesel Dodge is providing is not going to be speedy regardless of the torque specs. A diesel engine runs best at constant speeds and does not have the revving characteristics of a gas engine.

crabjoe 08-12-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skytop (Post 1174845)
Every big diesel truck I have owned could pull a building off its foundation but they NEVER felt fast. Lot's of torque but the 'speed' was absent. I would think the LITTLE Italian diesel Dodge is providing is not going to be speedy regardless of the torque specs. A diesel engine runs best at constant speeds and does not have the revving characteristics of a gas engine.

I'm a bit surprised at this.... It seems all the current diesel pickups do 0-60 in under 9 secs, some in the 7's. And unlike gas, you can "chip" a diesel and produce gobs power...

mexi 08-12-2013 11:56 PM

that eco diesel will be a slug

randomid25 08-13-2013 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mexi (Post 1175124)
that eco diesel will be a slug

And you know this how? Are you a paper horsepower expert? The Eco will be a bit slower than a hemi stock for stock, but a tuned eco has the potential to put a hurting on a hemi truck. The eco will also outperform a hemi in economy in ANY condition.

mexi 08-13-2013 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randomid25 (Post 1175158)
And you know this how? Are you a paper horsepower expert? The Eco will be a bit slower than a hemi stock for stock, but a tuned eco has the potential to put a hurting on a hemi truck. The eco will also outperform a hemi in economy in ANY condition.

let see same tq with less hp. pretty simple math.
less tow rating then the hemi too. so fuel will be the only thing.
tuned? 3 years from now maybe.
I drive a lifted ram with big heavy mud tires fuel isnt my concern or id buy a corrola.

paper horsepower expert huh?.... power to weight ratio its been around awhile


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors
= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger