DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Heating & Cooling (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190)
-   -   problems charging A/C (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=150211)

trappking 08-12-2013 09:47 PM

problems charging A/C

I went down to my local walmart and bought one of the bigger cans of A/C PRO. figured it would save me a buck. Well i stuck it on the valve and the gauge read about 5 psi. so i start pumpin away trying to reach about 45. I get to about 25 or 30 psi. just barely into the green area on the gauge when one of the lines right near the top valve blows apart :Wow1: causing a huge scene in the middle of a walmart parking lot. The pipe that blew apart looks like it has some rubber rings around it that seal it up when its inserted back into the pipe it came from but i dont think it will hold much pressure at all.

Does anybody have any idea what i should do? i dont think i would try filling it back up again because it would just be a waste of more a/c pro if it blew apart again and those cans are 45 bucks. Has this ever happened to anyone else? its gotta be a common issue.:4-dontknow:

ps. i will definitely update with pics later its pretty dark outside right now.

2012DCREDEXPRESS 08-12-2013 09:54 PM

You did install this on the low pressure line, correct? The smaller of the two lines, near the firewall? I just used one of these A/C Pro's on my old mans 2002 Ram. Worked good for us...sorry to hear you had bad luck bud. I hope it all works out for you!

Simple guy 08-12-2013 10:07 PM

the high pressure and low pressure fittings are different sizes making it virtually impossible to hook up on the wrong side.

was the truck running with the a/c on?

I'm guessing you blew off the quick release?

a picture and a bit more info can get you an exact answer.

trappking 08-12-2013 10:35 PM

yes i definitely hooked up to the low pressure valve closest to the firewall and yes the truck was running with the a/c on and the clutch was spinning. It would make sense that it was a quick release that popped off. Is the quick release close to the high pressure valve? I dont know why it would pop off that early unless my gauge is broken on the a/c pro unit. Anyways i hooked it back together and i will definitly take pics tommorow am.

trappking 08-18-2013 01:43 AM

havent yet figured how to get pics on here from my iphone. mostly just cuz im lazy after work :sad:

but i have more information now...i plug in the guage to the low pressure valve and it reads normal pressure then the compressor kicks on and my psi goes all the way down to zero. when i try putting more in after the compressor is running it will only let me get to about 15 psi before the quick realease blows off ans scares the bejesus outta me :gost:

trappking 08-19-2013 04:14 PM

Maybe i need a new quick release valve? i find that hard to believe tho cuz i would think the pressure would have to really high to blow that thing apart!