DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram General Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   1995 Ram starts then dies. (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=150219)

GPryor 08-12-2013 09:34 PM

1995 Ram starts then dies.

My son brought his 1995 sick pick up home to dad. The truck has a 360, automatic transmission and is stock except for cat back duals. The truck would not start at all. I replaced the camshaft position sensor and the truck started. At this time the truck will start, run about 5 minutes then shut down. I have now replaced the crankshaft position sensor and coil also. The fuel pump shows 42 PSI of pressure while running and 38 PSI with the key in the run position. Put a timing light on the #1 cylinder and watched the light. Just before the truck dies the light will start going erratic as the engine starts missing. There are no engine codes in the memory. The PCM has no numbers on it, all stickers are missing. Will any 1995 V8, automatic control module work or are they specific to the vehicle.
Thanks,
Glen

Gen1dak 08-12-2013 10:10 PM

One for a 318 will run it, but not to full performance. It's not like the learning PCM's that appear later.
When it dies, will it start up again or not. Does it then run several minutes or die immediately, or just not start at all?

GPryor 08-13-2013 10:03 AM

1995 Ram

The truck starts, will initially run for several minutes then dies. The truck will restart but runs for a shorter time each restart.

GPryor 11-09-2013 10:56 PM

Fixed it

They always say keep it simple stupid. Decided to go back to the basics and found that the coil wire was corroded badly at the distributor cap. Replaced the distributor cap, coil wire and one other spark plug wire. The truck has been running since.

huntergreen 11-09-2013 11:39 PM

yup, always start with the basics.

catskillmtnent 11-30-2013 08:45 PM

Just curious is it still running? I have a 94 doing the same exact thing. Changed the cam sensor, vss and the coil with no luck. I am starting to think ECM.

GPryor 01-01-2014 12:31 PM

1995 Rams starts then dies

This is Jan 1st 2014 so Happy New Year to all. Yes, the pick up is still running with no issues since the repair. My son did replace the rest of the plug wires and spark plugs to see if it would help his fuel economy. I think is has more to do with wanting to listen to the loud exhaust than anything else.

GPryor 01-01-2014 12:34 PM

If you have a multimeter and wiring diagram you can check all the inputs and outputs of the ECM. I thought I had a bad one too but it was just the wires.

48pege 01-01-2014 01:11 PM

I just returned home from a trip to Georgetown,TX my Mom lives with my sister and brother-in-law there. Weather a lot nicer there then here in mid western Illinois.
Harvey