DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2014 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=247)
-   -   Info on towing? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=150283)

geeky 08-13-2013 04:37 PM

Info on towing?
 
I have a 2013 Laramie 4x4 5.7L. I am going to be towing a TT weighing 5181 Dry. I have used the calculator online (ramtrucks.com) and it looks completely doable. (Assuming i have 2 passengers 1 is a three year old. and 100 lbs for a WDH.)

Some folks on the Rv forums are thinking I am going to be very close to my tow rating.. am I missing something?

crabjoe 08-13-2013 05:06 PM

No idea what that truck is rated to pull, but dry weight is with nothing in it. When you start adding stuff, for a trip, the weight adds up real fast....

If I were you, I'd look at what the gross weight the trailer is rated for and use that number vs it's dry weight.

Hermes1 08-13-2013 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crabjoe (Post 1175626)
No idea what that truck is rated to pull, but dry weight is with nothing in it. When you start adding stuff, for a trip, the weight adds up real fast....

If I were you, I'd look at what the gross weight the trailer is rated for and use that number vs it's dry weight.

Yes, dry weights are meaningless. Find out what the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the trailer. The door jam label on your truck will give you the tow rating of your specific truck.

Ramzaq 08-13-2013 07:21 PM

We need more info on your truck especially what rear end ratio.

My truck is rated to pull 8500 lbs and my payload is rated at 1436 lbs (CC, 4x4, Hemi, 3.55 rear)

Figure a tongue weight near 510 lbs, about 10%, subtract that from your payload. In my case that would leave 926 lbs. That is how much weight you would have left for everything else.

So you will be close to the payload limit if your truck is similar to mine when fully loaded.

Sad, but you run out of payload before you reach your tow limit. It is not just Ram, it is the same with all the light duty pickups.

crabjoe 08-13-2013 08:09 PM

I'm not sure what your setup is like but take a look at this thread... The guy bought a 28 TT and ended up trading it in on something smaller... The 1500 just wasn't enough for the trailer...

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=136755

Parkersdad 08-13-2013 09:50 PM

This is the exact reason I just bought a three-quarter ton Ram.

Stump3r 08-13-2013 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramzaq (Post 1175730)
We need more info on your truck especially what rear end ratio.

My truck is rated to pull 8500 lbs and my payload is rated at 1436 lbs (CC, 4x4, Hemi, 3.55 rear)

Figure a tongue weight near 510 lbs, about 10%, subtract that from your payload. In my case that would leave 926 lbs. That is how much weight you would have left for everything else.

So you will be close to the payload limit if your truck is similar to mine when fully loaded.

Sad, but you run out of payload before you reach your tow limit. It is not just Ram, it is the same with all the light duty pickups.

+1 to what Ramzaq said. Sadly I have a similar issue with mine in that I run out of payload long before I run out of towing capacity.

gwilburn 08-13-2013 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geeky (Post 1175594)
I have a 2013 Laramie 4x4 5.7L. I am going to be towing a TT weighing 5181 Dry. I have used the calculator online (ramtrucks.com) and it looks completely doable. (Assuming i have 2 passengers 1 is a three year old. and 100 lbs for a WDH.)

Some folks on the Rv forums are thinking I am going to be very close to my tow rating.. am I missing something?

Really??? Assuming you don't have the 3.21 rear end, you are WAY under the limit. 3.55s are rated for 8700 and 3.92s for 10,100. I wouldn't pull anything over 7500 or so w/out load levelers

FWIW, I pull a 20' enclosed trailer (about 5000 lbs) + wind drag, with a cab full of guys and a bed full of gear 800+ miles at 75 mph.

randomid25 08-14-2013 03:01 AM

Gross combined weight rating (GCWR) is the most important. This is what your truck is rated for total. This means the weight of the truck, passengers, cargo, fuel, trailer, trailer cargo, EVERYTHING. It's also the easiest to check as you can just pull in to a truck stop and scale your truck and trailer.

Another rating you'll wanna pay attention to is the gross axle weight rating (GAWR). If you scale your truck and trailer, It will tell you how much weight you have on each axle. This way you can tell if you need to shift weight, for example, from the bed of the truck to the trailer, or vice versa.

You'll also be able to tell if you are exceeding gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), which the total weight capacity of your truck, fuel, passengers, and cargo not counting trailer weight, by adding the front and rear truck axle weights together.

exilepa 08-14-2013 08:09 AM

In reality, the truck will be able to pull much more than it's rate for. The key; being able to stop that load safely and accelerate quick enough (as quick as you can with a trailer) to avoid danger. The rating is there for the manufacturer to cover themself if you do something stupid like tow 8500lbs with the 3.21 rear end. Some of the stuff I've seen people pulling down the highway with Trailblazers and smaller SUVs is downright frightening!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors
= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger