DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram General Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Questions about scrapping a 2nd Gen (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=150297)

Kyle4236 08-13-2013 07:13 PM

Questions about scrapping a 2nd Gen

Hi guys I'm new and have a 2012 Ram but my questions revolve around a 2nd gen ram that I have no idea what year it is yet.

So the story goes I work inside a steel plant and one of my co workers has a 2nd gen ram 1500 with a 6' bed that was bought to just die inside the plant. Thats kinda what happened, the frame is cracked and the whole truck is sunken in the middle but still together enough to be moved from point A to B under its own power. Due to electrical issues the truck will start up but it died every single night so its sat in one spot for the last year and a half now while he got another beater for the plant. I offered my co worker a couple dollars to buy it from him to part out and cut up and it has no title so it can't be taken to a junkyard so what I don't part out will get cut up and recycled. The recycling company near me offers $.69 per pound of steel.

The engine runs and is one of the V8 options (not sure which yet). The transmission shifts and works, the battery is new and the ecu is good along with the rear differential and drive shafts. Everything else isn't worth even touching since the rest of the truck is in horrible shape. No accidents just beat to hell.

So here's my question:
-Has anyone cut one up for scrap yet?
- how much of the 2nd gens are steel? Frame, bed, doors, body etc....
- what other metals are they if they differ and where are they?
- what would the truck weigh minus the Engine, Trans, differential , drive shaft and all the non metal parts from the truck? Just a educated guess will do

I have torches at my work and plenty of heavy equipment that I run to just pick up the truck and throw it however I want so I'm only interested in just ripping what is worth most out to sell and cutting up the rest.

Thanks guys

huntergreen 08-13-2013 09:09 PM

no idea. guess that is why it was left there to die.

Kyle4236 08-13-2013 09:19 PM

He's an old guy so he was going to take it to a junkyard but can't without the title so he just hasn't had the time or energy to do anything with it.

richmond 08-13-2013 10:15 PM

Can't you get the VIN# off the VIN plate or title and look it up??? At .69 you can apply for a lost title (18.00). R...

richmond 08-13-2013 10:22 PM

Scrapped some myself

In KY one only has to punch a hole in the gas tank. All of the vehicle can go to the scrapper. You can throw extra metal in the car to make it heavier if you have other scrap metal. The scrapper will account for incidentals (non metal). At least KY anyway. R...

Kyle4236 08-13-2013 10:34 PM

I can look at the vin plate probably tomorrow. Here in Maryland the junkyard pays $400 for a complete vehicle. The recycler will take the metal as long as its chopped up, separated from non metals and organized according to what metal is being sold to the recycler. At $.69 a pound for steel alone, recycling the truck on top of straight selling the few good parts im keeping to sell outright presents a greater overall return on my investment of time and money.

skytop 08-15-2013 09:15 AM

Throw an ad with a price better than your per pound scrap price in the local Craig's list.
If it is cheap, you will definitely get it sold fast.