DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Painting between bed and cab? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=150437)

Nabby 08-15-2013 08:51 AM

Painting between bed and cab?

I have a 91 D-150 I would like to paint, it's currently a two-tone blue, and while I'd really like to repaint it a charcoal color, I'm not sure what's involved in detaching and sliding the bed back so I can paint the area between bed and cab... do I need any special equipment to move something that big and heavy? How does any other at-home truck painter do it?

battlerattle 08-15-2013 10:08 AM

Nope. Its 6 bolts, a few wire connections and you need about 3 good sized friends. The bed only weighs 250-400 lbs depending on length.

The1 True Outlaw 08-15-2013 08:42 PM

I can second that. Haven't done it to my Ram but when I painted on the frame on my dakota it was a few bolts and 4 of us lifted it off. All the wiring had connectors that were easy to pop apart. Easiest part of the job.

gcscott 08-15-2013 10:18 PM

Take out the bed bolts and disconnect the wiring. Use some 2X4s and jack up the bed. Place some 1 1/2" or 2" PVC pipe under the bed and roll it back. Or get some friends if you want to take it all the way off.

will36 08-16-2013 10:16 PM

just put the rear end on jackstands remove the tires and rear bumper. unbolt it and slide it back a little. I do it all the time. I put a bedside on this week doing the same thing and trimmed in the front of the bed. We usually pull the bed , but we had a shop full this week.

GTyankee 08-16-2013 10:33 PM

that is the same method most people use when changing out fuel pumps

you could use a cherry picker or a good size tree limb & a come-a-long or two

Nabby 08-18-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by will36 (Post 1178259)
just put the rear end on jackstands remove the tires and rear bumper. unbolt it and slide it back a little. I do it all the time. I put a bedside on this week doing the same thing and trimmed in the front of the bed. We usually pull the bed , but we had a shop full this week.

Are they that easy to just slide? Something one person can do by himself? I keep a small circle of friends, and we're all putting in 60 hours a week at the same factory doing a lot of heavy lifting, so getting any of them together to do anything physical in our off time is downright impossible, so I have to make a one man job of this.

will36 08-18-2013 07:01 PM

I do it myself all the time. One side... I think the drivers side has a plastic line up spike. just lift it up a little and slide it back. I have put a new bedside on a truck, painted it and sent it home in a day. There will be plenty of room.