DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   BDS/bilstein question (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=150454)

j3andit 08-15-2013 02:01 PM

BDS/bilstein question

next week im buying the 4inch BDS lift with the 3inch coils in rear. im also putting the bilstein 5100s up front. what setting should i have them at. ive been told by some that 0.7 and 1.4 are common but 2.1 will be closest to level. what you all think

gonefishin776 08-15-2013 02:03 PM

I'm pretty sure the guys who run RCX go 1.4 to get level. I'm not sure about BDS.

Once you get perfectly level, it appears to sit nose high. So i would say go with 1.4

fastNugly @ BP 08-15-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j3andit (Post 1177169)
next week im buying the 4inch BDS lift with the 3inch coils in rear. im also putting the bilstein 5100s up front. what setting should i have them at. ive been told by some that 0.7 and 1.4 are common but 2.1 will be closest to level. what you all think

Since you will be going with a 4" BDS lift and a 3" rear coil you will want to set them at 1.4 to be near/deal level depending on your current rake
2.1 will set you nose high, but then you can easily throw on a rear coil spacer.
However, the ride on 1.4 is REALLY good compared to 2.1

I know as I went from max, to 2.1 and to 1.4
2.1 is good, but 1.4 is better. Plus your CVs are still good.

I know we have spoken about lift kits....if there is any further questions I can address let me know :smileup:

fastNugly @ BP 08-15-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonefishin776 (Post 1177172)
I'm pretty sure the guys who run RCX go 1.4 to get level. I'm not sure about BDS.

Once you get perfectly level, it appears to sit nose high. So i would say go with 1.4

Due to the 2" rear block provided with the kit. 0.7 will set you level.
1.4 will give you a slightly nose high measurement and look. Plus you cannot add a rear coil spacer on top of another.
So you will need to either grab a 3" rear coil or get a larger coil spacer (which isn't a huge deal)

gonefishin776 08-15-2013 02:15 PM

there's your man ^^^^^ Andrew knows.

fudrock 08-15-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j3andit (Post 1177169)

Just had this exact kit installed last weekend (pics soon!). Are you upgrading your rear shocks? I think you should. You're already this far...

Anyway, tech set mine at 2.1 and said I was sitting dead level at the fenders. I didn't get a chance to grab a tape and get a measurement myself but visually it looks level, though, and I think it's because I have the sport hood, it does appear a tad nose high depending on how you look at the truck. I'm giving everything a chance to settle, but I'll probably wind up having him drop the bils to 1.4 when I go back in to have everything retorqued.

What is your rake like now? I had 3.25" of rake at stock.

Not to stoke your fire as I was in your shoes a month ago but; you're gonna ******* love it when it's done:head3:

PS: Just listen to whatever Andrew says. :smileup:

fastNugly @ BP 08-15-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fudrock (Post 1177238)
Just had this exact kit installed last weekend (pics soon!). Are you upgrading your rear shocks? I think you should. You're already this far...

Anyway, tech set mine at 2.1 and said I was sitting dead level at the fenders. I didn't get a chance to grab a tape and get a measurement myself but visually it looks level, though, and I think it's because I have the sport hood, it does appear a tad nose high depending on how you look at the truck. I'm giving everything a chance to settle, but I'll probably wind up having him drop the bils to 1.4 when I go back in to have everything retorqued.

What is your rake like now? I had 3.25" of rake at stock.

Not to stoke your fire as I was in your shoes a month ago but; you're gonna ******* love it when it's done:head3:

PS: Just listen to whatever Andrew says. :smileup:

Just to the OP, the reason why fudrock set his to 2.1 and is level is because he had 3.25" rake.
With just the lift alone his rake would have been 2.25" and it makes sense that 2.1 will level it.

If your truck follows the standard and avg 2.75" rake 1.4 will be your setting.
But pls do measure your fenders (front and rear) and make sure your truck is parked on flat of a surface as possible.

Mike, once your Bilsteins settle (about 0.1-0.2") you may not want to drop them down.
Based on that teaser you sent me, I think you will be even more pleased once settled.

j3andit 08-16-2013 12:18 AM

ok thanks guys. i will get the measurements and re confirm with you. and fudrock i wanna see pics!

fastNugly @ BP 08-16-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j3andit (Post 1177587)
ok thanks guys. i will get the measurements and re confirm with you. and fudrock i wanna see pics!

10-4 and I too want to see his pics

Doc M 08-16-2013 02:22 PM

Since I am going to walk this same rope very soon I have one question.
Is that with the BDS spacer or without it?