DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram General Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Test drove the 2014 chevy (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=150461)

skytop 08-15-2013 03:49 PM

Test drove the 2014 chevy

Went with a chevy friend to the dealer today. Drove the new '14.
I had a 2009 GMC Denali truck so I saw many similarities.

If you selected a Ram truck, you chose wisely. The 'new' Tchevy is an old truck that has been updated but still suffers from the same old GM build mentality. One can barely tell the difference of the '14 from a 2009. Same old square design...only more so.

As an example, getting in is a mighty chore. The genius designers at GM deliberately failed to provto the chevy with a hand grip on the windshield post to assist in hoisting yourself up. You must grab onto the slippery moving steering wheel. As stupid as it gets. As you get in, you are greeted with the slippery unattractive "leather" that GM provides. It is all downhill from there. The center stack has wide toggle switches across its width. The left hand one closet to the driver controls the foot pedal location. It is most easy to accidentally press get confused and press it screwing up your pedal adjustment. You cannot deactivate the switch. Ridiculous. The truck had a 5.3L engine. It drove nicer than my older 2009 GMC truck for certain....but it was new. Still feels like an old truck, though.

Of course the GM crowd will automatically buy the new chevy without opening their eyes to see the far better choice available to them at the Ram dealer.

h2oman 08-15-2013 04:37 PM

I test drove a '12. I just thought it was a dog. No getup and go at all.

battlerattle 08-15-2013 04:51 PM

Never been a GM fan. Admitedly it was a hard choice between Ford and Ram though.

82corvette 08-15-2013 06:54 PM

I sold my 04 GMC HD2500 extended cab with 6.0 gas, 4spd auto 410 locking dif 4x4 & thought I would miss it. At first I missed the 25 gal gas tank but the 13 mpg on the road isn't missed. My 1500 crew ram hemi 392 posi pulls better, rides better & gets 16 mpg on the hwy. I love the Rambox option & like the body style. The jury is still out on the resale value down the road. Dodge trucks in this area do not hold their value but the quality & technology has gained in the current generation of Ram trucks. I think I am satisfied but a new Denali GMC still makes me nervous.

Jim45498 08-15-2013 09:51 PM

To be honest my choices were Ram or Ford. Me and Ford were 500 dollars apart and I told them to let me know if they changed their mind,

Me and Dodge were 1,000 dollars apart.

Dodge called me after leaving the Ford dealership and met my price. (I had went to Dodge dealer first)

Next day Ford called and said they would meet my price...I told them I had just bought the Dodge and they were one day too late.

So far, I am happy with my choice.

GM was never in my mind

harleysarge 08-15-2013 10:25 PM

Truck choices

I've owned four dodge Trucks, three of them brand new and have watched them become a better product with every passing year.
I've also owned brand new Silverado's and an F150. No comparison
in power. Once you own a HEMI, there's no going back. My current
2013 Laramie Crew Cab is the best Vehicle I've ever owned. Power, Comfort, Appearance, Sound System, Spray in liner, Power locking tailgate, and of course the Air Suspension. It has it all. And I kid you not, I get compliments from ALL ages:
Senior Citizens outside CVS when I'm picking up meds, Pizza Delivery guys who see it in the drive, Bank Tellers at the drive-up, Gas Station Attendants, The Dunkin Donut Drive-up Crews. It's amazing. That Cherry Red paint and all the Chrome, Raised White Letters. "What a Package" !
I'm happier than a Kid at Christmas. I love my Ram...

WYS Boys/Girls,... Sarge

Tmjennings23 08-15-2013 10:59 PM

For work I drive, '12 chevy 3500, '05 chevy 3500, '07 chevy 6500, '98 gmc 2500, '05 Ram 2500 HEMI magnum, '11 Ford F350 turbo diesel, and I personally own a 13' Ram 1500.

The 05 Ram noticeably pulls better than any of the GM trucks I drive, and the interiors of the GM trucks are subpar compared to the others in my opinion.

To me the '14 GM trucks are more unattractive than last gen.

PaulMys 08-15-2013 11:45 PM

skytop- You drove a new Chevy truck? Take a shower IMMEDIATELY and wash all of that ugly off of you!!!!!!! LOL!

shawnu 08-16-2013 12:02 AM

I don't think the new sierras are all that bad, it'd be my next step under the ram, 3rd is tundra I've drove a 11 or maybe 12? F150 Stx at work quite a few times, everything is horrible, besides the ride is comparable to the ram. That's the ONLY good thing about it.

Ram is still the leader in my book.

Gantman 08-16-2013 12:09 AM

I will say having owned Chevy's, they have always been the king of smooth riding suspension. Until this 4th Gen Ram came out and then I gave that smooth riding suspension title to our light duty Ram's. As far as physical appearance, the headlights are the only thing that gives me a rise. :LOL: In other words, "It's ayite".:4-dontknow: