DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Drag Racing Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   Taking my truck to the track for the first time (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=150602)

Gecko 08-16-2013 08:57 PM

Taking my truck to the track for the first time

So most likely I'll be taking my truck to the track tomorrow for the first time. Any advice or tips and tricks for a rookie?

I've read the Drag racing sticky already but I just wanted to hear a little from everyone.

Thanks!

Redhemi03 08-16-2013 11:40 PM

Weight reduction(tailgate, spare, backseats), cutouts open, would be good to run a shortbelt too if you have time to pick one up from a parts store and practice putting it on a few times, lower rear tire pressure to around 22-24 psi. Avoid water box if on street tires and try and get a little burn out( just enough to smoke the tires). I like to pull my airfilter when I go, might not help alot but I do it anyways. Let us know how you do bud, good luck!

Gecko 08-17-2013 12:01 AM

Thanks! I was going to just take everything out of my bed and clean the inside of the cab as well. I was then going to just run it in street trim. Atleast the first run.

I read somewhere in one of Chefreds posts that keeping the cutouts closed actually made him faster before he started spraying. Should I open mine like you said or keep them closed? I guess I can try both and see how it goes.

chefred112 08-17-2013 01:31 AM

try it both ways..first run, closed...2nd run, open...3rd run, closed and then open them halfway down the track...depending on mods, each truck will respond differently...and have fun..it get's addicting.. :)

bouf0010 08-18-2013 08:15 PM

i went for the first time a couple weeks ago. Felt a little overwhelming at first.

My first run i just started the truck, drove up the line, and floored it when the light went green lol the rush of that alone was awesome. I must have done 15 passes that night lol each time trying something a little different. My first run was 16.004 :S and by the end of the night i was at 15.3.

I feel like i will be more prepared next time i go. I think everyone will agree when i say "practice practice practice"

Now im hooked and i feel like my bank account is gonna start resembling one of a college student :P

Redhemi03 08-18-2013 11:46 PM

No updates?!?!?? Keep us posted on your times and what all you did to it man, don't leave us hanging

Gecko 08-19-2013 12:56 AM

I ended up only getting 3 passes in yesterday as I was going with a friend and he ran into some car trouble on the way to meet up at my place.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bouf0010 (Post 1179526)
i went for the first time a couple weeks ago. Felt a little overwhelming at first.

Either way I have to agree with this statement. First pass was a bit overwhelming. I wasn't sure what I was supposed to be doing.

My reaction times got better from pass 1 to pass 3 and my 3rd pass was the best of them all.

Pass 1: 15.775 at 85.61 (Worst reaction on this run)
Pass 2: 15.837 at 85.26
Pass 3: 15.763 at 85.57 (best reaction on this run)

I know I need to get my reaction time down a bit, my best was .393 but I thought I would run better than I did with the mods I have. Now take in mind I drove an hour to get there and did not let the truck cool down before taking my first pass or after any of my passes (I didn't have much time to run) and it was on the hotter side yesterday as well.

I was not in "track trim" if you want to call it that. I still had the spare connected to the bottom of the truck and my bull bar on the front. I did clean out my bed though and the inside of the truck too.

I ended up running faster with the cutouts open (runs 1 and 3) than I did with the cutouts closed. Each run I did the same: Pull up to staging, then just floor it. I did NO burnout and NO brake torquing.

Any thoughts on what I can do better next time? I would like to be able to cross the line faster than I can throw a baseball, which wasn't the case yesterday.

Even though I only made 3 passes I did have alot of fun and I was the fastest truck there :P (Beating the nice new Chevy :hah:) I definitely have to go back so I can get the hang of this.

USAF Long 08-19-2013 09:25 AM

what were your 60 ft times? The reaction just measures your movement from the time the light goes green but doesn't effect your actual 1/4 mile time. You can sit there for 10 seconds if you want. I usually floor it on the last yellow.

Gecko 08-19-2013 06:25 PM

60' times were, in no particular order, 2.32, 2.33, 2.34

chefred112 08-21-2013 05:54 AM

hows your traction from the gitgo? if you're not spinnin then start doin a little trimming like spare and tailgate.. weight and rotational mass starts to become an issue, maybe try to find a set of 17's to try out on track day...when I tried a set of 17's, the difference felt significant enough to the point that I decided to run 17's all the time (helps me save gas as well)

http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/.../Drop/show.jpg