DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2013 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=241)
-   -   Brand new 2013 700 miles won't start weird issue (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=150702)

Roadhog14 08-18-2013 02:07 AM

Brand new 2013 700 miles won't start weird issue

So somehow after typing a lengthy article and seeing it posted another of my posts was under this title my apologies to all.

Last night after driving for sometime with no issues I parked my vehicle outside the store for five minutes came back out and it would not start it's got 700 miles on it. Turn the key and click not the repetitious clicks you get when your battery is dead just one click so at first I thought maybe the battery. Then what I noticed is the dash indicator shows the truck in neutral with a green circle under the n and but when I attempt to start the vehicle the indicator shows its in reverse or the r highlighted in red.

So at first you may think the vehicle is stuck in park or otherwise but I physically checked and if you move the shift lever to the appropriate spot the vehicle rolls in neutral or stops in Park, But the indicator does not move with the shift lever, It only changes indication from neutral to reverse when trying to start. Battery voltage was 12.8 junkbox had no effect. Attempted to reset by removing battery terminal half a dozen times. Checked fuses tried moving shift lever and starting in every position.

Roadside assistance wouldn't tow it to my house which was one block away, The dealers lot is dated so tow company has The truck in storage and will then tow it 20 miles later because roadside would only pay for that.

While it is at the dealer I will let them know also that it has a rough idle especially when cold. It is so rough that while inching forward at a light it shakes items in the vehicle.

Has anyone had an issue like this? I know there is a override under the dash in the column if your vehicle is stuck in Park which is referred to in the owners manual, But this is not the issue as the transmission is actually Or appears to be okay since the vehicle moves or doesn't move in the appropriate shift lever location.

Don't get me wrong I love this truck and I hope this isn't the start of a long journey. I bought a new vehicle to avoid this had a Dodge sprinter which is mostly Mercedes But it became more than the normal wear and tear I could handle.

Ramzaq 08-18-2013 05:39 PM

Bummer when the new vehicle won't start. Not a good feeling in any aged vehicle but, that is what warranties are for, to take care of these little gremlins from the factory.

Sounds like it may be a problem with the neutral safety switch. It makes sure you don't start the vehicle while in gear. Or the gearshift linkage is off.

Roadhog14 08-18-2013 10:03 PM

your correct, I just hope there not pouring water on these gremlins, for those not aware water turned the gremlins evil in the movie. I think generally people get good vehicles, somehow though I tend to not have the best luck in these situations. Had more mods planned but maybe I'll wait a minute and see how the truck pans out.

ValleyRacer 08-18-2013 10:09 PM

No need to be apprehensive

Probably an ignition interlock or something in the steering column or the neutral safety switch. Some such goody in the tranny selector
Weak, failed or shorted starter solenoid.

The dealership can run a diagnostic and find the problem quite quickly.

Roadhog14 08-18-2013 10:20 PM

Yeah I'm not thinking trans either, I'll hopefully be posting tomorrow night what they say if not Tuesday. Hope they like the new muffler. Maybe they'll say the muffler is too loud and it caused a short in the column.:LOL:

Ramzaq 08-19-2013 02:11 AM

No, they will tell you it causes to much back pressure, so much pressure that the starter can't overcome the pressure and start the truck.

Roadhog14 08-19-2013 11:22 PM

update: picked it up tonight. service told me over the phone it was a ground issue and he would tell me more when he saw me. I got there after they closed. I'm a electrician and usually that means loss of ground?

the work order states they removed the battery terminals and cleaned them, like that was really the problem. but had to re range a sensor. They don't tell what sensor though, bunch of codes listed too. I'll have to copy the work order to this thread and see if someone can read that language and help me out. Really want to know what it was and not some bs.

Didn't get any apologies at all, not a we know you just bought it 2 weeks ago, sorry for the inconvenience ,. Nothing. 700 miles new. WOW

I did just finish my mods that I started Saturday before having it towed. The s+b cold air and the flowmaster 40 made it sound so darn good. But that's for another article.

I'll post the work order here asap.

dwsdad 08-20-2013 02:17 PM

This sounds a lot like what happened to my '12. As it turns out, it would start in neutral but not park. It turned out to be a transmission position sensor in the tranny itself.

Roadhog14 08-20-2013 07:52 PM

okay here is what repair order reads:

roadside tow in. customer drop off note indicates vehicle does not run at all.
active fault po706 shows vehicle not in park. perform shift lever test. passed. contacted star center. bypass battery cables to range sensor. refit and clean battery connectors.
08-94-bj-h2 .3 fc:uc / 08-94-bj-l4 .3 / 08-94-bj-m3 .3 / 08-94-bj-d1 .3 / 08-94-bj-a1 .3

anyone know what this means? obviously cleaning the battery posts on a new battery wasn't the issue, I checked them myself before the tow regardless while disconnecting the battery multiple times myself too.