DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   magnaflow questions (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=150707)

whitev8 08-18-2013 06:27 AM

magnaflow questions

what is the difference meaning purpose between the magnaflow cat-back system for $800 or just the muffler for 100 bucks. Which muffler is the most popular for the 4.7. I hoping to get at least 1 to 2 mpg gain if possible. thx

MaximumSteelExpress 08-18-2013 02:54 PM

Muffler is for sound more or less and with the whole cat back system u should see some better overall performance gains. Stock pipes are pretty restricting so the full system will offer better flow.

RogerRamJet 08-18-2013 10:27 PM

Cat back is where they cut out your current exhaust system and install new pipes and muffler from the cat back. A muffler, for $100 bucks, is cut out and a new muffler is installed. On my 4.7 I got the Maggy 14". You oughta listen to some of the sound clips, then you can decide for yerself which sound you like better.

whitev8 08-19-2013 03:22 PM

thx , I will go with the bolt on mufflex dods18 from the sound clips on you tube. i was going to order a magnaflow cat back but Iam glad i ask because i cant weld or cut pipe but i got a socket set. :)

RogerRamJet 08-19-2013 05:00 PM

Welding is the way to go, but if all you have is a socket set, then that'll have to do. Good luck and have fun. Throw up a pic and a sound clip of it when you're done.

Grubrunner 08-19-2013 05:28 PM

What Magnaflow catback model number are you looking at?

whitev8 08-19-2013 06:05 PM

It was the magnaflow 16386
I guess it not to true cat back because it bolts on just before muffler per the instructions. It looks like rip off because the charge you a lot for ss pipe you all ready have.

Grubrunner 08-19-2013 06:11 PM

Looks like a "true" catback to me.

It's only a rip-off if the existing OEM system is identical in every way to the AM catback you're considering [SS grade, pipe diameter, tip diameter, muffler type, etc]

Good luck.

pstreifel 08-19-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerRamJet (Post 1180177)
Welding is the way to go, but if all you have is a socket set, then that'll have to do. Good luck and have fun. Throw up a pic and a sound clip of it when you're done.

There is a way to take the muffler off with a socket set???? I when under there and saw the clamp loosened it and took a few hard whacks at it and nothing even budged. Maybe I had my purse :shy: that day but I thought I gave it what I could.

RogerRamJet 08-19-2013 10:17 PM

Yes, the stock mufflers are held together with brackets, but you gotta remember, 1) they are meant to be super tight and therefore the tolerances are extremely tight as is the bracket and B) that exhaust pipe has been heated up and cooled many, many times. It's not going to give up very easy. Get you some PB Blaster, soak the joint very well and let it soak for a couple hours. You're also going to need a big ass dead blow hammer to pound the muffler to get the muffler off. Just because it's bolted on doesn't mean it's going to be easy. Which is one of the reasons why I had my pipes cut off and the new cat back welded on.