DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2012 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   12 Ram 4.7L spark plug change (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=150793)

FloridaRam 08-19-2013 09:01 AM

12 Ram 4.7L spark plug change

So I decided to change my top rows of plugs since I have 37,000 miles and it is reccomended at 30,000. Well the drivers side went like a dream no problems but the passenger side the second to last coil from the firewall the boot rips :doh: so my question is does anyone have any tricks how to get this small piece of coil boot out so I can get the plug out?

snrusnak 08-19-2013 12:30 PM

I have tips and tricks that will help you out. Where are you in FL?

Take a piece of copper plumbing, I think 3/8" or 1/2", don't remember off hand. Cut it about 1 ft long or so and push it over the spark plug(after the boot is ripped). This will separate the boot/plug as they are seized together. Then you can remove the remainder of the ripped boot with needle nose pliers. Be sure to apply liberal amounts of that electrical grease or you will fight the same problem next time. Also, I hope you are using oem plugs.

Someone told me you can buy replacement boots at NAPA, but I haven't confirmed this. Otherwise, you have to replace the entire coil which is ~$25 from the dealer and ~$20 from autozone. I had to replace ALL 8 of mine and used the autozone ones. I probably have a couple of good boots left over if you need one let me know if you can't get them at NAPA, that way you don't waste the money on a whole coil.

If you need any other help let me know my email is my username at gmail.

FloridaRam 08-19-2013 01:12 PM

[QUOTE=snrusnak;1179969]I have tips and tricks that will help you out. Where are you in FL?

Take a piece of copper plumbing, I think 3/8" or 1/2", don't remember off hand. Cut it about 1 ft long or so and push it over the spark plug(after the boot is ripped). This will separate the boot/plug as they are seized together. Then you can remove the remainder of the ripped boot with needle nose pliers. Be sure to apply liberal amounts of that electrical grease or you will fight the same problem next time. Also, I hope you are using oem plugs.

Someone told me you can buy replacement boots at NAPA, but I haven't confirmed this. Otherwise, you have to replace the entire coil which is ~$25 from the dealer and ~$20 from autozone. I had to replace ALL 8 of mine and used the autozone ones. I probably have a couple of good boots left over if you need one let me know if you can't get them at NAPA, that way you don't waste the money on a whole coil.

If you need any other help let me know my email is my username at gmail.

Thanks Snrusnak! That's an awesome idea I will definately try that as soon as I get off work today. I already have a replacement coil to replace it (got it from the dealer for $18 because I work at the Hyundai dealer here only good part about this job is dealer pricing LoL. I will definately send you an e-mail if I have any issues but i'm hoping it goes smoothly so I can get the catch-can installed today after work to!! :D