DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2013 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=241)
-   -   quad vs crew cab (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=150885)

bigboy73 08-20-2013 03:51 AM

quad vs crew cab

okay I am buying a new truck in next day or so. I have narrowed it down to either a 1500 quad cab with a hemi or a crew cab with a 4.7. both are same color, options and only $800 difference in money. The hemi is cheaper. I had a 04 quad cab with a hemi and loved it biggest mistake is I got rid of it a few years ago. Which would you buy? I can get either one for mid twenty thousand.

maust1 08-20-2013 06:35 AM

Well it all depends. I chose a quad because I wanted the bigger bed. I went with tradesman over the express for the metal bumpers (leave the plastic car bumpers to the cars) I chose the 4.7L because the Hemi as awesome as it is would cost me way more to insure and I like the little 4.7L it is a good little engine.

There will be some that will only suggest the Hemi for the power, but I say you have to figure out what truck will best fit your needs.
Good luck on a tough choice.
Mick

dparise 08-20-2013 06:59 AM

Quad with a Hemi, that is my opinion, like the guy previous said, its a matter of wants and needs and every person is different.

Spike 08-20-2013 09:27 AM

The crew really has a ton more passenger room than the quad. It is not easy to fit a couple of big guys in the back of a quad. I have kids and dogs so it would not be an option for a quad for me.

That being said, I wouldn't get the 4.7L either.

So, maybe this does not help you but if you don't require the room of the crew, then the hemi quad, no question for me.

fishwater 08-20-2013 10:36 AM

I traded my 2010 Crew for a 2013 Quad & the difference is quite noticeable in room. I do regret not buying the Crew so my opinion is to go for the extra room the in the Crew over Quad, good luck.

DanU 08-20-2013 10:53 AM

I almost went with a Quad to save some money too. So glad I didn't. As stated before, the crew is massive in passenger room and comfort. I really didn't need the extra bed space as some guys do, so in the end I considered my passengers and needs. Go with the Crew!

davidgcet 08-20-2013 11:16 AM

i have a '12 Outdoorsman CC with the Hemi and my wife has a '12 SLT QC with the 4.7. When we go out of town we take my truck due to room, even though hers gets 4-6mpg better than mine. I do wish i had the longer bed she has and i had on my '04 SLT QC, but i've adjusted to the short bed.

Do you haul passengers or bed cargo more? What about towing? If you haul an ATV in the bed, you can always buy a small trailer and haul it on that if you go with the CC.

One other advantage of the CC in my case is my dogs have room to lay down in the floor even if the kids are with me. i have a 110# American Bulldog and a 85# Black Lab, in my old QC they could not lay in the rear floor but in my CC they can lay down even when both kids are in the back seat.

Spike 08-20-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidgcet (Post 1180846)
i have a '12 Outdoorsman CC with the Hemi and my wife has a '12 SLT QC with the 4.7. When we go out of town we take my truck due to room, even though hers gets 4-6mpg better than mine. I do wish i had the longer bed she has and i had on my '04 SLT QC, but i've adjusted to the short bed.

I am confused by this because the mileage for the 4.7L is rated worse than the Hemi.

What kind of mileage do you get? I can sometimes get 20mpg on my morning commute in city driving with the truck in my sig. I ran 80mph bed loaded, 4 people and dogs, pulling a 4x8 trailer loaded for 200 miles and still got 15.5 mpg.

My buddy had a 4wd quad with the 4.7L and 15mpg empy was a happy day for him. Running 80mph, he was in the 12-14 range.

toober 08-20-2013 11:29 AM

I sat in a quad and crew. If anybody is going to sit in back that is over teenager, get a crew, the extra few inches in knee room is a huge difference. A few inches smaller bed and the stuff you carry isn't going to notice much. I got a crew.

The 2013 is the last year they're putting out the 4.7, might wanna take that into consideration.

WhiskeyRodeo 08-20-2013 11:35 AM

I picked the quad because 95% of the time it's just me anyways. But that other two or three times a year the crew would be nice.

I don't regret it a single bit though. It's still a bigger Quad than my silverado so who's to complain!