DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Towing (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=178)
-   -   Hitch identification (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=150895)

doktrred 08-20-2013 09:37 AM

Hitch identification

4 Attachment(s)
Howdy, new to the forum and new to Dodge Rams (lifelong Chevy guy). My 17 yr old daughter just bought a 2001 Ram 1500 5.2 L. She wants to haul a smaller (2 horse) trailer but only has the bumper ball now and that won't cut it in my opinion. Her boss gave her a hitch and bumper that he says should fit her truck. I can't find any brand/logo on this hitch, nor have I found a hitch like it on line. So my questions are...........anyone know who makes this hitch-aftermarket? OEM? Will it fit her truck? I will get under the truck and eventually find out, but haven't had time yet. The bumper is about 1" wider than the bumper on her truck now.

I haven't had a chance to look closely at the fitment except that the width seems to be right.
It looks like it needs to slip over the ends of the frame rails (vs. bolting to the bottom or top).
I can try and get better pics if needed
Thanks.................

hollonator 08-20-2013 01:25 PM

It looks like an OEM hitch for a 2nd Gen Dodge (like your daughter's). As for hitch rating and such I have no clue, however...just looking at the setup and how it is designed to mount directly to the frame in conjunction with the bumper I can tell you that it will take a lot more than a 2 horse trailer to damage it.

doktrred 08-20-2013 02:10 PM

Thanks, I was wondering if it might be OEM? I will see if I can find time one weekend to pull the old bumper off and figure out how this thing goes on. Would grade 5 bolts be ok or would you go grade 8?

the persuader 08-20-2013 11:42 PM

Looks like a factory 3rd gen trailer hitch. I wouldn't think it would fit on a 2nd gen truck because the frames and the bumpers are different.

doktrred 08-21-2013 09:58 AM

I hope not, it would save her (me) alot of money if it would fit. I won't be able to look into it for another 2 weeks, but I will let you know what I find out.

The width of the hitch seems to be spot on but I'm sure there could be a number of other differences that would make it not fit if its a third gen. hitch. There is a tag on the back of the hitch but I'm not sure it is read-able ( a SKU type of tag). I will have to get a mag. glass and good light and look at it.

racecar67 08-21-2013 10:05 AM

I agree looks like a 3rd gen receiver and bumper more than likely class III. Might not fit.

RogerRamJet 08-21-2013 10:54 AM

I gotta agree and go with the 3rd Gen bumper and hitch. Looks just like the set up on my truck.

doktrred 08-21-2013 01:24 PM

Huuummm.......Anybody need a 3rd generation hitch and bumper then?

RogerRamJet 08-21-2013 02:02 PM

I could use the hitch, but already got a bumper.

doktrred 08-21-2013 03:32 PM

I can have my daughter check with her boss to see if he would want them back, coz he gave them to her thinking they would fit her truck. Lookin' more and more like won't fit so, if he doesn't want 'em back, and you want the hitch, let me know how much you think it's worth and how I would get it to you--little bit of a hike between Llano and Mansfield, not sure if shipping would be economical or not?