DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram General Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Driver seat durability (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=150992)

NCBEAST 08-21-2013 08:09 AM

Driver seat durability

Is there anything that can be done to revent the driver seat from wear and tear on the side where you get in and out?

My 13 is already showing wear from getting in and out on the cloth seats. I am 6'5" so getting in is pretty level for me so I did not think this would happen. I have seen numerous pictures of Rams with this issue.

I do wish I got leather now and thinking of doing some aftermarket leather but price is really high and it would not help the break down in the cushion in that area.

Also have thought about lowering the truck with a 2/4 drop but I know it will stiffin up the ride some and really do not want that either. Could do the 2" rear drop only but do not think that will drop the seat very much.

I traded my 1999 Dakota on the 13 Ram and it was not near as high even with the 31 X 10.50 tires but the interior and seats looked brand new with 128000 miles.

Anyway to lower the seats with manual controls?

Any other suggestions that I have not thought of?

Thanks,

Greg

skytop 08-21-2013 09:14 AM

You can revent the driver's seat from wear and tear by only using the passenger seat. However, that may be inconvenient. The next best way is to purchase a decent quality full seat cover. All the discount online stores sell covers and they are not expensive considering the savings in seat repair cost.

I have used seat covers for the past 30 years and swear by them. Besides wear, they protect against soiling, perspiration and bird poop.

LostAtSea85 08-21-2013 11:22 AM

I am very picky about this as well. In fact, when people get out of my vehicle I tell them to make sure they resist the urge to slide off the side of the seat. They usually don't understand and think it's ridiculous, and I usually don't care. Haha.

What helped me was the addition of step bars on my truck. Everyday I step up on the bar, pull myself up with the handle, and then lower myself onto the seat without getting on the side. I do the same in reverse for exiting. It sounds a little crazy, but no wear on the seat after 16 months of ownership.

DarthRam 08-21-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skytop (Post 1181628)
I have used seat covers for the past 30 years and swear by them. Besides wear, they protect against soiling, perspiration and bird poop.

Bird poop?!?! Do you have one of those new Drop Top Laramies?

CajunDodge 08-21-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthRam (Post 1181849)
Bird poop?!?! Do you have one of those new Drop Top Laramies?

LOL, must be coming in through the sunroof perhaps?

- Cajun

CaptDuff 08-21-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostAtSea85 (Post 1181813)
What helped me was the addition of step bars on my truck. Everyday I step up on the bar, pull myself up with the handle, and then lower myself onto the seat without getting on the side. I do the same in reverse for exiting. It sounds a little crazy, but no wear on the seat after 16 months of ownership.

^ This is about the only way to prevent wear

PaulMys 08-21-2013 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostAtSea85 (Post 1181813)
I am very picky about this as well. In fact, when people get out of my vehicle I tell them to make sure they resist the urge to slide off the side of the seat. They usually don't understand and think it's ridiculous, and I usually don't care. Haha.

EXACTLY! :smiley_thumbs_up:

huntergreen 08-21-2013 10:08 PM

my 11 sport seats are holding up fine. checked today.

Canadian Hemi Pride 08-22-2013 12:33 AM

My 08 drivers seat has worn down quite a bit.. Was worn down before I got it but I try not to slide on/off if possible... Don't know what to really do.

skytop 08-22-2013 12:23 PM

A lot depends on how you get in and out of your truck. I have seen some people forcibly slide themselves across the seat getting in dragging their legs which abrades the leather or fabric rapidly.