DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Oil Change (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Synthetic Oil Recommendation (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=151078)

cbaksa 08-22-2013 07:41 AM

Synthetic Oil Recommendation

Hello All,

I have to do my 1st oil change on my 2011 (5.7L) Ram next month. I was wondering what is the best synthetic oil to use? I have religiously used Mobil One in the past but it is mega expensive. It's never done me wrong, but I'm looking to save a few bucks if I can. What weight and how much does this behemoth use?

What brand of Oil filter is best to use?

Thanks

Chris

Excoastie 08-22-2013 08:22 AM

If you go with one of the major brand name oils, then you can probably don't have anything to worry about. Just make sure you get the correct weight of oil, as it will adversely effect the MDS if you do not.

I personally use Mobil 1, as I can get it just about cheaper than anything else. I pick up a 5 qt jug at Wally World for ~$23 and a couple of single quarts for ~$5 each. I think the Mobil 1 filter that I get at an auto parts store is $6-$8.

All in I figure it still cost me less than $50 to do an oil change. I might be able to get this done cheaper elsewhere, but I enjoy working on my truck, and I know that it's been done correctly.

Good luck

Exco

Grubrunner 08-22-2013 08:24 AM

Where are you purchasing M1 from that classifies it as being 'mega expensive,' as you put it?

cbaksa 08-22-2013 08:29 AM

I usually buy it as Costco. Its about 30+ bucks a case. Maybe "mega expensive" was not the right terminology... but considering the cost of regular oil, its expensive. The dealer will change the oil and filter for 39 bucks. So 30 bucks for just the oil is expensive.

Grubrunner 08-22-2013 09:02 AM

In all honesty, I don't find a "significant" difference in regular VS synthetic oil when it comes to price.

Now quality, longevity, benefits and the like, yeah, I find a "significant" difference.

I guess location matters when it comes to engine oil and it's availability and price.

Good luck in your search for the synthetic oil and oil filter for your needs.

This is a very popular topic and you'll find many posts/threads if you do a short search. Spend some time reading them and come to your own conclusion.

racecar67 08-22-2013 10:16 AM

Amsoil

http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com...17927079819982

Go with the Signature Series 5w-20 7 qts and EA011 filter. 25000 miles between changes or a year whichever comes first. I use it in all of my vehicles and I'm a dealer. It may seem like it costs alot but if you add it up it is actually cheaper in the long run.:smileup:

KingofDomain 08-23-2013 12:53 PM

7 quarts is what you will need to fill that 5.7L, that's a good price from the dealer, cause down here in Texas it's a little different, I guess depending on where you go. I personally don't a trust dealer to do anything (bad past experience) but it's around $100.00 for an oil change for me, jmo stick with the best M1, but good luck to ya......

hortence222222 08-24-2013 10:35 PM

I only use Penzoil Platinum in my rig and stick with Mopar oil filters. I was told that they are actually made by Wix (here in Canada, anyway). I get my oil at Walmart or Canadian tire on sale, so a change costs me about $35

Grubrunner 08-24-2013 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hortence222222 (Post 1184405)
I only use Penzoil Platinum in my rig and stick with Mopar oil filters. I was told that they are actually made by Wix (here in Canada, anyway). I get my oil at Walmart or Canadian tire on sale, so a change costs me about $35

Told be who?

Purolator makes MOPAR engine oil filters is what I always thought....

:4-dontknow:

hortence222222 08-25-2013 09:29 PM

I was told by a Dodge dealer partsman. He had nothing to gain by lying. That was also in Canada, it may be different in the US.