DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2013 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=241)
-   -   Anyone ever done a gear change on a 2013 Ram? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=151120)

Rusty289 08-22-2013 05:53 PM

Anyone ever done a gear change on a 2013 Ram?

Hey everyone, first time posting but ive been reading the forums on here for a while now

Anyway I am hopefully nearing the end of a very frustrating and unsatusfying order and buy process .

My journey began in March with the attempt to order, factory didnt accept the order till May, confirmed it in June, built in July and finally arrived at the dealer last week

Truck was perfect, well almost, ordered with a 3.92 gear ratio and it shows up with 3.21s. The factory apparantly changed the order due to parts restrictions, trouble is the 3.21 gear gives up 4000 lbs of trailer towing capacity . This I could not accept, my trailer weighs more than that the way it sits.

Dealer has gone out of his way to make it right, they swapped the front and rear running with an outdoorsman 3.92, problem solved right? Not exactly.

The truck is right now except the speedo is off and they dont have any way to change the programming in the computer to tell it there are now 3.92s in it. Chrysler says it will also eventually throw a check engine code.

Seems kind of crazy to me, im wondering if anyone has done a gear swap and how they got around the little gem of a computer???

brandonjansen 08-22-2013 06:33 PM

First off, I find it hard to believe that the dealership can't change the programming in the computer to correct your speedo. If they change change it for tire size they should be able to change it for gearing. Even if you have to do the math and fool the computer into thinking the tire size is different to correct the speedo... it can be done. I don't see why your dealership is telling you that it's going to throw a check engine code either.... that just doesn't make sense. What would throw the code?

Second, you can't swap gears in a 2012 and up Ram.... at least not without changing the front diff out. So very few guys have done it. I haven't heard of anyone doing it in a '13 yet so you probably aren't going to get any feedback there.

A tuner has the option to change your gear ratio and reprogram the computer. Currently the Bully Dog GT for Hemi Plus is the only tuner available for a 2013 Ram. I have one on my truck and used it to correct my speedo now with my larger tires. It took a little bit of screwing around, but I do have it bang on the money now according to my GPS.

First thing I would do if I was you is go back to your dealer and talk to them about reprogramming the speedo again. I'm sure they are capable of it. Even if it means doing it by changing the tire size in the computer. Otherwise you may need to talk to another dealership for a second opinion.

Rusty289 08-22-2013 06:52 PM

Agree with you 100%, I don't believe it either They say their computer can only change the tire size and there is no option to change the gear ratio. Again I agree, what could possibly throw a code, it makes no difference to the engine and tranny what ratio is in the rear, with the exception of figuring out the speed to display on the dial which could easily be corrected by changing the tire size I would think.

Chrysler engineering were actually the ones that said it would throw a code, I believe the words that were passed on to me were "after you drive it for a while" I swear these guys dont seem to know anything about the technical side of these vehicles. That technical side is becoming more and more important all the time, in my opinion this should be a simple phone call or email then a quick file download and its done.

Thanks for the input and confirming what I was thinking, maybe im not the dumb one after all lol

brandonjansen 08-22-2013 07:34 PM

Ya for sure. The main issue with a lot of "techs" at dealerships nowadays is that they know absolutely nothing about mechanics or how a vehicle works. All they know how to do is plug in a scanner and read codes. If there aren't any codes, they have no fricking clue on what to do.

I believe that they might not have the option to change the gear size in the computer (which still seems a little odd) but they will definitely be able to change the tire size. So as I said, just get them to change the tire size to correct your speedo and call it a day. That's going to be your best way to get it corrected.

You definitely aren't dumb in what you're thinking. If they think the fact that you have different gears making your speedo wrong is going to throw a code then any truck or vehicle running a different tire size that stock without correcting the speedo would be throwing codes as well and I've never heard of that happening....

Rusty289 08-22-2013 08:52 PM

I also should mention that I don't own it yet, haven't taken delivery or signed anything . They're just trying to get it right for me before I take it.

My sales guy suggested ordering a 2014 and offered me the same deal but likely wouldn't see it till November, at this point I have absolutely no faith in the factory ordering process, I just want my truck!

Zixxer 08-22-2013 09:57 PM

If you can get the same deal on the 2014...take it. The fact they can't crack this code is crazy.

Rusty289 08-22-2013 10:05 PM

I haven't ruled out the 2014 option yet, and you're right it is crazy!

Campbell402 08-23-2013 09:32 PM

I would take the deal on the 14 myself, but I understand how exciting getting a new truck is and how impatient we get. If they can't get the issue fixed and you do buy it I would just buy a tuner and correct the problem yourself. Not only will the issue be fixed, but you will have the benefits of a tuner as well which will help with your towing.

RyanJM 08-25-2013 05:54 AM

I had 3.21's in my 09 for a month before swapping in 3.92's. I wouldn't even take it with those gears. I can barely stand these 3.55's.

Rusty289 08-27-2013 02:00 PM

Just ordered another truck, 2014 for the same price.

Now I gotta wait again.