DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2013 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=241)
-   -   How long did you wait to buy an extended warranty (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=151139)

garyquayle 08-22-2013 08:32 PM

How long did you wait to buy an extended warranty

It looks like you can wait up to 12 months from when you received your vehicle to purchase a factory warranty. My dealer tells me that I have to buy the factory warranty when I receive/purchase my Ram.

Does anyone know how this actually works? I would like to wait a few months before getting the extended warranty to make sure this is a truck that I plan on keeping for several years.

orangetc 08-22-2013 08:42 PM

I received a letter from Chrysler saying I have 12 months or 12000 miles to get the warranty.
I'm still working on getting the money for it.

Hermes1 08-22-2013 08:46 PM

I bought mine at time of purchase only because of excellent incentives to do so. But generally you can purchase just prior to the original warranty expiration.

Ram Dude 08-22-2013 08:47 PM

I purchased my ram in March and told the finance guy I didn't want a extended warranty. He begged, pleaded, and said it was almost a necessity that I needed one. But I stood firm and said no. Last week I received a letter from Mopar that their records showed I did not purchase a extended warranty. It also stated that I have the opportunity to take advantage of a Mopar Vehicle Protection Plan with interest free payments before my vehicle reaches 12K or 12 months, and I'll save $150 of the total!! So yeah, that salesman is trying to get more take home cash. Also do let the finance guy talk you into road side assistance or life insurance..............

garyquayle 08-22-2013 09:40 PM

Thanks, I thought the dealer was trying do a quick sell to grab some more money.

PaulMys 08-22-2013 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermes1 (Post 1183067)
I bought mine at time of purchase only because of excellent incentives to do so. But generally you can purchase just prior to the original warranty expiration.

Same here. Small town dealer with many friends who also use my business and my wives business. 3 guys at the dealer have boats at my marina. Also, most of the dealership employees bring their pets to the vet where my wife works as the office manager. Got a GREAT extended warranty form my boys! (One hand washes the other!) :smileup:

4sport 08-22-2013 10:04 PM

maybe a little different her in Canada, I was told anytime before the 3 yr 60k period. I believe they said it was around $3000 ouch and followed up with the nav system alone was about $4000 to replace so you really should buy it.

dwsdad 08-22-2013 10:32 PM

Talk about timing.....

I just signed the papers on '13 Black Gold 1500 Lone Star Edition and the finance guy tired to talk me into the extended warranty - only another $45/mon added to the payments. I said no thanks, I think I can live without it. But he kept on, in a nice way.

He said I have a coupon here that should save you some money. I said no thanks. I'm happy with the payments I have and don't want to strain my budget.

Well, he says, do you have any family military or ex-military. No, well, except my bro-in-law. That'll work. Gotta love this guy's tenacity. He knocked some more off and got it down to around $20 more over the payment. I said no thanks.

Not to be beaten, he said let me see if I can get you the employee discount. Yep (of course), I qualify. LOL

So, as it all ended up I got the full Platinum Extended Warranty, plus free oil changes, tire rotation, chassis lube, fluid check, and updates checks for............an addition $11/mon.

Tell me there isn't mark up in those extended warranties.

kcl71 08-22-2013 11:23 PM

I just went through this as well with purchase of new 2013 Ram 1500 crew cab sport. Deal was done, went into finance office to sign papers and excessively pressured to buy the extended warranty. I almost came to the point of walking away, worried that maybe I was purchasing a vehicle that would not last long electronically according to the finance guy. I turned down their price of $1685 for a 6 year/60,000 mile max care plan.

Went home and did some research and found http://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com. Received online quote of $2185 for lifetime max care with $100 deductible. Went back to dealer and they honored the online quote for lifetime max care. This made the most sense to me since I keep my vehicles for a relatively long time period. Last ride was a 93 landcruiser that i put 70,000 miles on since purchase in 2000. Just wish the dealership made it a little easier and not gouge so much on the extended warranty. Made me feel that maybe everything was a ripoff even though I purchased $6200 below sticker LOL.

I love this truck though, in long run it was all worth it :smiley_thumbs_up:

gjayf77 08-23-2013 12:43 AM

how does it work if you purchase an extended warranty online? where do you go to get work done then since you bought it online and not through a dealer?