DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LEVELING (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=261)
-   -   Spacer size question (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=151162)

thkbaron 08-23-2013 02:17 AM

Spacer size question

Hi I recently purchased a 2011 ram sport and of course I'm generating a laundry list of things that need to be done with it. I think I narrowed my wheel choice down to Raceline Assault wheels and no larger than a 34 inch tire with a max width of 12.5. I was thinking 305/55/20's. Somewhere in that ballpark. I'm still debating on how much I want to kill my gas mileage. The wheels I'm looking at come with a backspacing of 18mm which is pretty much the same as the stock wheels. I'm not against putting Bilsteins in the front, but if I chose not to right away, can I run a 305 without putting spacers in? Is the 18 offset enough to bump them out. Thanks everyone!

gonefishin776 08-23-2013 07:07 AM

You will not fit those tires without leveling it at least. The max width on stock set up is 285, and sometimes that's pushing it. I would try to find that wheel with a little lower offset as well. Like you said, +18 is just about the same as a stock wheel. Try to find a 12, 6 or something to push them out some more and prevent rubbing.

brandonjansen 08-23-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonefishin776 (Post 1183309)
You will not fit those tires without leveling it at least. The max width on stock set up is 285, and sometimes that's pushing it. I would try to find that wheel with a little lower offset as well. Like you said, +18 is just about the same as a stock wheel. Try to find a 12, 6 or something to push them out some more and prevent rubbing.

Good info from Kyle here ^^^

If I were you I'd get the Bilsteins and set them at 2.1" to retain a slight amount of rake but clear those tires no problem. And then as Kyle said, you'll need a more negative offset to clear that tire. At least a +12 if not lower.

thkbaron 08-23-2013 11:01 PM

Sounds good guys. I found I rim I really want so I might have to put some spacers on instead. I'll see. Normally I can pick out a rim in three seconds but I'm having a hard time choosing between black and chrome.

brandonjansen 08-24-2013 03:41 AM

I personally like chrome wheels on a black truck. But it all depends on the truck and your personal opinion.

What wheels are you looking at?

blackram 09-06-2013 02:13 PM

Moto Metal, Fuel, and some others make some REALLY Bad A$$ Wheels! I got some Fuel Nutz that are Matte Black with machined accents. I love them. The matte black lets them get dirty and still look fine.
Mine are a +01 offset and they fit great and stick out a little more than stock (about 3/4 of an inch I believe). The stock wheel is has a -19 offset I believe, so as the offset becomes closer to 0 or even positive, the further out the wheel will be pushed. You can Google search for "convert mm to inches" and then see how far the wheels will stick out from there.

Remember, the tire is going to stick out on both sides. So, if you got a tire that was 2" wider than stock, then it will only stick out 1" on both sides!

Hope this helps. I looked at wheels for two straight weeks before I pulled the trigger on a set I wanted

brandonjansen 09-06-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackram (Post 1194394)
Moto Metal, Fuel, and some others make some REALLY Bad A$$ Wheels! I got some Fuel Nutz that are Matte Black with machined accents. I love them. The matte black lets them get dirty and still look fine.
Mine are a +01 offset and they fit great and stick out a little more than stock (about 3/4 of an inch I believe). The stock wheel is has a -19 offset I believe, so as the offset becomes closer to 0 or even positive, the further out the wheel will be pushed. You can Google search for "convert mm to inches" and then see how far the wheels will stick out from there.

Remember, the tire is going to stick out on both sides. So, if you got a tire that was 2" wider than stock, then it will only stick out 1" on both sides!

Hope this helps. I looked at wheels for two straight weeks before I pulled the trigger on a set I wanted

You have this backwards. The stock wheels are +19 offset, not -19. A 0 offset places the mounting surface in the center of the rim. A negative offset places it closer to the back of the rim making the wheel stick out further. And then obviously a positive offset places the mounting surface closer to the front of the wheel tucking it underneath the truck more.