DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Body & Interior (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=200)
-   -   Has anyone had an issue with there paint? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=151174)

SIC09 08-23-2013 11:33 AM

Has anyone had an issue with there paint?

Hey guys, i don't post much, just like to read around. with my 09 1500, im getting all theses "specs of rust" all over, mainly on the tailgate but still throughout the whole truck. i live in NM/Texas and i thought it was sand damage, since my ins. covers that i told them and they sent me to the body-shop. The guy at the body-shop said its not sand damage, that i should bring it to the dealership cause it looks almost like a defect. where rust is coming though the paint.

The specs are really small, its not as if they were stone chips, that start rusting. my truck just hit the 50K mark and i take really good care of it.

So my next step is going to the dealer to see what they say but i figured ill ask on here 1st.

has anyone had this same issue? cause im from NY and when i had my older cars/trucks out there they didn't even do this.

Rocky Harbour 08-23-2013 02:49 PM

Considering how many complaints I have seen on this forum with sub par paint on their 4th generation Dodge Rams, myself included. It would only make sense that now that they are getting 5 years old that problems like these would surface.

Keep us posted on how your dealer resolves this issue. :

Pimppapa1977 08-23-2013 03:08 PM

Keep us posted!! I have to say I was shocked at the shotty paint on these vehicles as well. Hell when I pulled the chrome grill to spray it, the fake chrome spray peeled off in sheets..Im happy I painted my shit now, or I would be rolling around with my center grill peeling.

cantrell 08-23-2013 04:21 PM

ive kind of noticed the same problem with my truck a few months back i found 2 or 3 spots on my tailgate and one next to my grill so far there not to bad but if i find many more itll start getting bad let us know what the dealer says

Ramzaq 08-26-2013 03:23 PM

No problem with the paint here, only water spots from the crappy super hard water we have to deal with.

Truck sits out in the blistering central California sun and no issues. I do try to keep it waxed at least twice a year.

Rambunkshuss 08-27-2013 02:43 AM

The paint AND metal on these dodge`s ALL suck...PERIOD. Open your doors, look around, you can see bare metal everywhere, shows clearly right thru the paint...!!!!!!! At first, i thought it was just my truck, but i`ve seen so many shitty paint jobs on these 3rd & 4th gen dodge trucks, its just plain sickening, especially for what we pay for them...!!!!!!! Mine is (2010) starting to rust badly everywhere, right thru the paint. I`ve washed AND waxed this truck more than i ever have with any other vehicle i`ve ever owned. Its ok, dodge wont get another sale out of me again. Guess i should have known better... a guy at work has a 2007, the box is falling right off his dodge hemi truck because ther is NOTHING left of it... rotted right off the frame. Another guy at work has a 2008 dodge hemi truck, his has holes the size of baseballs right thru the sides of his box right over each rear wheel. The chevys and the fords in our parking lot at work are quite a bit older, not EVEN NEARLY as rusted... paint might be starting to bubble at the most, but none have huge ass holes THRU THE BODY PANELS like the dodges.

thebluegoat 08-31-2013 01:40 AM

Mine is a 2011 and just noticed today that the paint is bubbling on the front passenger side fender. About 17 little bubbles.

uktitus 08-31-2013 06:48 PM

I have a 2009 the first year I was out of the country four about 4months and the truck sat in the drive in Seattle from about november time an open environment.The November before last we were away for over six months this time the truck was on the coast in Northern Cal again in the open but surrounded by Redwoods as of yet I see no rust and the paint is in excellent condition. The only place for rust is the chrome on the side steps.I believe that some of the trucks built early 2009 for many reasons were some of the best Dodge built which is unusual for a new model year .

rockyram21 08-31-2013 07:15 PM

I have a few spots on the rear bumper that look like rust to me.It's a Sport so it's painted.Took it to the dealer,they submitted some photos for Chrysler and they said no coverage.So I think I will call Chrysler Canada direct,just have to get the case # from the dealer.

Arth 08-31-2013 07:20 PM

My 2009 does not have any real signs of major paint problems like that. Maybe because of the color but I have to agree. This is the second orange 09 that I have owned and it sure is doing very well for being the first year of the new generation.