DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   V10 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=214)
-   -   2001 2500 V10 tuneup and mpg (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=151184)

jameswbarton57 08-23-2013 01:43 PM

2001 2500 V10 tuneup and mpg

I just bought this truck with 70K miles.
The engine runs smooth but due to getting only 10.5 mpg I decided to change spark plugs. I removed champion platinums and NAPA told me an Autolite titanium was a good replacement. The titaniums have a split circular electrode.

Now I get worse mpg. Does this sound logical? If so what type of spark plug and plug wires are good for the 2001 V10 I see a good deal on Bosh Platinum wires but am wary of making something worse. The current wires are mopar they do not look bad but they no longer fit tight on the plugs.

The analyzer shows no misfires.

Also the temperature gage shows only about 170. It seems to get better mileage when it is 90 degrees outside than when it is 70 degrees?

Any advice on plugs, wires, and thermostat temperature

Cheatham 12-18-2013 10:17 PM

id like to know as well

RogerRamJet 12-18-2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jameswbarton57 (Post 1183549)
I just bought this truck with 70K miles.
The engine runs smooth but due to getting only 10.5 mpg I decided to change spark plugs. I removed champion platinums and NAPA told me an Autolite titanium was a good replacement. The titaniums have a split circular electrode.

Now I get worse mpg. Does this sound logical? If so what type of spark plug and plug wires are good for the 2001 V10 I see a good deal on Bosh Platinum wires but am wary of making something worse. The current wires are mopar they do not look bad but they no longer fit tight on the plugs.

The analyzer shows no misfires.

Also the temperature gage shows only about 170. It seems to get better mileage when it is 90 degrees outside than when it is 70 degrees?

Any advice on plugs, wires, and thermostat temperature

Yes, it does sound logical. If you put the wrong plug in, then the engine will not run correctly. Look at your EPA sticker, it will tell you what to replace them with.
The PO may have put a 170 t-stat in it, which IMHO, is too low. The engines were designed to run at 210, and thus will not operate correctly. The computer may think that the engine is still warming up and keep it in a cold loop, meaning it's dumping way more fuel than what is needed causing the bad mileage.

Kruilty 02-01-2014 12:24 PM

Replace plugs with correct plugs. May have to change out thermostat. Don't go lower than 180. The 180 is good during summer, it'll help run engine a lil cooler. Otherwise stay with 195. For better mileage, go with a new CAI, new free flowing exhaust. Keep the cat(s), as that will keep you with torque. Or if need be, replace shitty cat(s) with new ones. My 98 is bone stock except for air bags on rear end for towing and a tow rec in front. But since I bought it about 3 months ago, Im getting decent mileage. Havent had it on hwy yet to check hwy mileage. Just been running it in city.