DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   2013 1500 Alpine dash speakers (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=151363)

mids 08-25-2013 10:05 PM

2013 1500 Alpine dash speakers

I just ordered two pairs of Infinity Kappa 32.9cf speakers and speaker wire adapters. How do I go about removing the Alpine 3.5"s in the dash, on a 2013 Big Horn with the Alpine system?

I am hoping, that the -3db cut option for the tweeter, creates enough of a difference to create a center channel that has presence, but is not overpowering.

Before anyone asks why two pairs, the wife prefers the sound with the center speaker active, however, she feels that the system lacks clarity and highs.

bstc00 08-26-2013 02:28 PM

Just pop the little cover of with a screwdriver and there are three bolts that hold down the speakers. Thank those of and install its that simple.

kkreit01 08-26-2013 02:28 PM

Assuming the '13 is the same as the '12s, the grills just pop off. I've done mine so many times, I can remove with my fingernails. The center grill cover will have a wiring harness to unplug -- before removing completely. Tape this harness off to the side. It once fell down, and I had a difficult time getting it back. The speaker screws for the center speaker are also a pain. A 1/4" ratchet was too large, and I didn't have a wrench that small. It's either 7 or 8 mm. I used a socket, and turned with pliers. I now have a micro socket set that works great.

mids 08-30-2013 09:46 PM

Ok, speakers came in today. Dash came apart nice and easy. Then discovered, that I was sold the wrong speaker adapters. Have to wait a few more days, I ordered the adapters from Crutchfield this time around.

In the process of removing the dash speaker grills, I discovered, that an expired credit card/room key/ID/etc. makes the job a snap. Just use it to pry the grill up from the side.

mids 09-08-2013 12:08 AM

Everything came in on Friday, and I installed everything today.

Install impressions: The kappas fit nicely into the dash's side locations, however, the center location is a very tight fit due to the kappas permanently attached crossover. It did finally fit though.

Putting the grills back in place, I realized, that the rings needed to be removed from the speakers for clearance. The grills closed, but did not sit right with them in place.

Sound quality impressions:The sound quality improved substantially. The muddiness cleared up quite a bit, however, not completely.

Further thoughts: I am considering replacing the door speakers next, however, I am just not certain, how much further putting 6 1/2" or 6 3/4" woofers in the doors would improve the sound, or, if there a large loss, or change, of bass/mid-bass reponse. We really like how tight the bass and mid-bass currently sound, however, we have not reached the level of overall clarity that we are looking for.

autokraftgt 09-09-2013 08:46 AM

adding a nice amp to power your speakers will improve clarity a lot.
head unit power is the dirtiest power out there....especially when you are asking the HU to power more than two speakers...
An amp will wake up all speakers you have now...by a ton!

mids 09-09-2013 05:42 PM

I thought that the Alpine system already used an outboard amp.

autokraftgt 09-11-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mids (Post 1196294)
I thought that the Alpine system already used an outboard amp.

Oh they do....but I said to add a NICE amp

mids 09-11-2013 10:58 PM

Which amp(s) would you suggest? Last time I bought an amp, was the late 90's

Would you just add the new amp in-line? Wouldn't that just end up amplifying the already noisy signal

ONOutdoorsman 09-11-2013 11:24 PM

I added Infinity Reference 3032cf dash speakers and removed the centre speaker on my 2012. I will never look back. The sound and stereo separation is 1000 times better.

I added the dash speakers and sub/amp combo and it sounds fantastic IMHO. Something to think about.