DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2013 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=241)
-   -   Swap a 8.4" into my 2013 Express? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=151386)

blackbat 08-26-2013 09:28 AM

Swap a 8.4" into my 2013 Express?

I currently have the 5.0" touchscreen w/bluetooth in my truck. If I were to find a used 8.4" from another 2013 is it just straight plug and play into my truck?

I would like to get NAV, and I assume I can't get that on my 5.0" unit, and after doing a bit of reading it seems the 2013's are a bit touchy with swapping things in and out so I wasn't sure if I could just drop in a 8.4", get the dealer to flash it and I would be good to go. Is my current SAT antenna NAV capable or will that need to be switched out as well? Just curious what all would need to be done, or is it just not worth it money-wise.

Thanks in advance.

ILuvaMyTrucka 08-26-2013 11:11 AM

I believe from what I have read these radios cannot be swapped out.

Billacuda 08-26-2013 02:46 PM

They can't be swapped due to some electrical system reason according to Chrysler. You can replace with aftermarket however.

rkuhl84 08-26-2013 03:55 PM

The 8.4 is tied in with the 7" EVIC screen in the gauge cluster so I would think you would have to have that as well. I'm not sure on the settings in the 5" but there are several things that the 8.4 control such as how long the headlights stay on after you shut the vehicle off, etc. that would complicate things.

I'd think you'd be better off just getting an aftermarket unit with Nav. There are some pretty nice aftermarket units out there for less than you'd pay for the factory 8.4 unit.

Campbell402 08-27-2013 09:16 AM

As they mentioned above you can not swap out factory radios for a different factory radio. I read a article about it, but can't seem to find it. Being you have the 5.0 you can however put in a aftermarket nav HU using the metra dash kit and wiring harness. This is prob a better option anyway because you can get better nav with more options. Only people with the 3.0 or 5.0 can swap in a aftermarket HU. Those with the 8.4 are stuck with it.

blackbat 08-27-2013 10:21 AM

Thanks for all the feedback guys, i appreciate it. I guess I'll stick with the 5.0 for awhile until I can find the perfect aftermarket system.

Jim45498 08-27-2013 12:43 PM

I have the standard 3.0 radio .I have been waiting for the aftermarket harness and dash kit for months now. It looks like it is finally available from metra. I talked to an audio store yesterday and he did the homework on installing aftermarket.
He can put in a ...
INE-S920HD ALPINE 6.1" GPS NAVIGATION BLUETOOTH DOUBLE DIN DVD CD PLAYER USB EQ

That is as big a unit as you can install with the metra kit.
Having mine done Friday and will let you know the results.

I am also adding the backup camera.

Billacuda 08-27-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim45498 (Post 1186067)
I have the standard 3.0 radio .I have been waiting for the aftermarket harness and dash kit for months now. It looks like it is finally available from metra. I talked to an audio store yesterday and he did the homework on installing aftermarket.
He can put in a ...
INE-S920HD ALPINE 6.1" GPS NAVIGATION BLUETOOTH DOUBLE DIN DVD CD PLAYER USB EQ

That is as big a unit as you can install with the metra kit.
Having mine done Friday and will let you know the results.

I am also adding the backup camera.

I was looking at that dash kit and Alpine unit as well. Eager to hear how it goes.

rb10475 08-27-2013 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billacuda (Post 1186133)
I was looking at that dash kit and Alpine unit as well. Eager to hear how it goes.

I'm jealous. This is a much better option than the 8.4 AN that we have because ours is riddled with problems. I don't know why anyone would want to swap into a stock radio.

mlc317 08-29-2013 10:57 PM

does the 5 inch touch screen stereo play dvd's, or just cd's. I am thinking upgrading to a 2013 ram. any help would be greatly appreciated.