DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   fixing paint scratches (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=151387)

theGSE10 08-26-2013 09:45 AM

fixing paint scratches

So last weekend I drove home from a tailgate with a tarp over the bed to protect my stuff (stupid mistake) and now I have a large spot of paint scratches on the tailgate. :doh:

I spoke to my dealer's auto body shop and set up an appointment for a quote tomorrow, however does anyone know what kind of price I'd be looking at for this kind of repair? I just don't want to get ripped off too badly. It's about a 1' by 1' square area at the top of the tailgate and it's definitely both paint and clear-coat scratches.

I thought about just buying a DIY repair kit but paint has never been my strong suit and I don't want to screw it up any worse.

Any advice would be appreciated because I have never had to do paint repairs before.

Hermes1 08-26-2013 01:15 PM

It is really hard to say as it will vary by region because of the labor costs. The shop will have to make what ever repair might be necessary then re-paint the whole tailgate. Having said that, I would hazard a guess at approximately $300.00

Pull Ya 08-26-2013 01:58 PM

How deep are the scratches? If they aren't to deep you might be able to buff them out with a gentle polish and a buffer--always use the least abrasive first. Run your fingernail over the scratches and if your fingernail does not "catch" on the scratch it can be corrected without paint(usually). If you need paint, it depends on the shop and as was stated the region you live in---my painter does not even pickup his paint gun for less than $150--then you start paying for material and prep.
Jay

theGSE10 08-26-2013 04:58 PM

thanks guys,

Yeah they're pretty deep. Definitely enough to catch my nail. I'm going to hope for the best but I'm almost positive they'll want to spray. Will they need to spray the whole tailgate if the scratches are only in the upper right corner?

Hermes1 08-26-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theGSE10 (Post 1185511)
thanks guys,

Yeah they're pretty deep. Definitely enough to catch my nail. I'm going to hope for the best but I'm almost positive they'll want to spray. Will they need to spray the whole tailgate if the scratches are only in the upper right corner?

To do a proper job yes they will probably want to paint the entire tailgate, at least the side the damage is on.

theGSE10 08-26-2013 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermes1 (Post 1185513)
To do a proper job yes they will probably want to paint the entire tailgate, at least the side the damage is on.

Good to know, thanks for the insight!

Hermes1 08-27-2013 10:27 AM

No worries glad to help. Good luck with it.

theGSE10 08-28-2013 07:02 AM

Just an update in case anyone was thinking of going through the same thing. Total came to $398 for the complete package.

Included:
$44 for a new "spoiler" (plastic piece on top of the tailgate)
$26 for new 4x4 emblem (I was told they do not come off as easily/cleanly as the larger Big Horn and Ram emblems)
$328 for repainting the scratches and tailgate

This is my dealerships body shop doing the work so would say it doesn't seem like a bad deal at all.