DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Oil Change (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   pentastar and Synthetic oil (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=151526)

ZMW 08-27-2013 07:17 PM

pentastar and Synthetic oil

The manual states to use conventional oil, which seems a little odd to me. Has anyone used synthetic with the new 2013 Pentastar? Any results or opinions?

Thanks guys

hattitude 08-27-2013 08:01 PM

I just changed the oil a few hundred miles ago and switched to synthetic oil.

So far, my engine hasn't blown up.......

Seriously, I'm not at all worried. In fact, since these Pentastar engines seem to run a little warmer... I sleep better with syn oil in the crankcase.

Grubrunner 08-27-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZMW (Post 1186324)
The manual states to use conventional oil, which seems a little odd to me. Has anyone used synthetic with the new 2013 Pentastar? Any results or opinions?

Thanks guys

Does the manual actually state use only conventional oil or is a recommendation? Does it say why conventional oil only?

Can you post exactly what it says?

I'm just curious.....

:smileup:

shawnu 08-27-2013 08:30 PM

Hell yeah Grub!!

Now i just gotta show my buddy that he doesnt have to pay his $100 deductable untill his factory warranty runs out and starts his ext on his sierra....

Hes already got screwed once.. and still insist that he has to pay it.

I love showing people wrong when they are dead certain theyre right

Hdm 08-27-2013 10:27 PM

This is what the manual says for Synthetic:

Synthetic Engine Oils
You may use synthetic engine oils provided the recom- mended oil quality requirements are met, and the recom- mended maintenance intervals for oil and filter changes are followed.

Grubrunner 08-27-2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hdm (Post 1186533)
This is what the manual says for Synthetic:

Synthetic Engine Oils
You may use synthetic engine oils provided the recom- mended oil quality requirements are met, and the recom- mended maintenance intervals for oil and filter changes are followed.

Well then I have no clue where the OP gathered his information from.

Thanks for posting.

ValleyRacer 08-28-2013 03:56 AM

What do you anticipate to occurr?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZMW (Post 1186324)

Thanks guys

If you use synthetic oil, do you think something mechanically unwanted would occur?
Are you concerned the pistons and rings would drag against the piston chamber wall?

What do you think might happen?

Hermes1 08-28-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grubrunner (Post 1186549)
Well then I have no clue where the OP gathered his information from.

Thanks for posting.

Me neither, but I suspect like the 89 vs 87 octane topic, perhaps he miss read the requirement on oil. :4-dontknow:

ZMW 08-28-2013 01:35 PM

"The engine takes six quarts of oil with a filter change. Traditional, non-synthetic motor oil with an ILSAC standard of GF5 is recommended. The standard change interval, with this oil, is 8,000 miles under normal driving conditions. "

http://www.pentastars.com/engines/tech.php

That is from Pentastar website and exactly what my manual says for the 3.6. Specifically recommends conv oil. Dealership said to use conv oil as well, but I could tell they were just repeating what the manual states.

Before I switch to Synthetic, I just wanted to be sure I was providing the best oil for my specific engine.

If everyone else thinks its a go, I am going for Synthetic. Mobil one maybe...

Thanks everyone

dwsdad 08-28-2013 01:46 PM

I'm running 5w-20 syn in our '13 Durango with the Pentastar and have had no issues. I let the dealer do the oil change so I can at least prove I had it done should anything come up and the service manager never batted an eye when I told him I had my own oil. I did let them use a Mopar oil filter though. I wasn't impressed at all with the 3rd party filter I picked up.