DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2013 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=241)
-   -   Inconsistent Remote start operation? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=151556)

dawoodsman 08-27-2013 11:47 PM

Inconsistent Remote start operation?

Left work today and tried the remote start--clear line of site to the truck, but it was some distance away--and it only honked once. Too far away to tell if it started. So I walk a bit more and hit it again. Only honks once. Get close to the truck, try it again, only honks once, engine is not running, and it won't start running.

Starts up fine when I get inside. Get home, step out, give it 30 seconds or so, and while standing right next to the truck, it starts up fine when I hit remote.

I was hitting remote twice as directed each and every time.

Any ideas what is up with this? I was hoping I could pop the window in the winter and start my truck from the office before heading out, but that doesn't look good now. Makes it moot if I have to walk close to the truck before it will work. Hope the heated seats warm up in a hurry--if they don't that wasn't worth the money either! At least I am not that far from the truck at home, hopefully it will work there without having to walking within 20 yard of it.

The Crow 1994 08-28-2013 12:09 AM

Mine seems a little temperamental when it comes to hitting the remote start with the right timing. Too quickly and it won't start. Too slowly, same deal. Not sure if this is what you're dealing with, but this is my experience with the factory installed remote start.

spoiler 08-28-2013 12:40 AM

No idea on the temperamental remote but you can get the Uconnect app for your phone and remote start your truck from anywhere in the world*
Turn on the truck and heater without opening your office window :-)

* you know.... within reason

Klus01 08-28-2013 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Crow 1994 (Post 1186572)
Mine seems a little temperamental when it comes to hitting the remote start with the right timing. Too quickly and it won't start. Too slowly, same deal. Not sure if this is what you're dealing with, but this is my experience with the factory installed remote start.

I hear ya on that one.. I find I have the most luck just hitting the damn thing 3 times. When I hit it twice it maybe works 60% of the time. :doh:
Still better than doing it the old fashion way on a cold morning though!

tev9999 08-28-2013 10:21 AM

Were you by any chance low on gas? There is a safety feature that will disable remote start so you don't run your tank dry. It has kicked in on me twice - both times the gas pump icon was lit so I assume that is the trigger. There was also a message on the display, but it does not stay active for long so if you don't look right at it you will miss it.

Starting when you got home would indicate this is not the case, unless you have a short drive and park on an incline that may change the level of fuel the gas gauge sees.

Monster5601 08-28-2013 12:51 PM

Hitting the remote start when the engine was started by remote will shut the engine down. When I remote start, the parking lights are on indicating a successful start.

dawoodsman 08-29-2013 01:44 AM

Half a tank of gas so it wasn't an issue of low gas. The thing that threw me was it beeping just once--that seems to me to indicate a problem. If you don't get the pattern down right you'd think it wouldn't work at all, or not beep at all. There was one thing that happened before I shut the truck off that possibly may have led to it. I am not completely attuned to the dial shifter yet and pulled into a parking spot and shut the truck down without moving it to park. The new 8 speed dial system recognizes this electronically and mechanically shifts itself into park after a bit. Not sure why it would affect remote start, but I might try repeating this to see if it was the cause, and report back.

KJ48 08-29-2013 09:27 AM

It will usually say on the EVIC why the remote was disabled.

If a door is not shut all the way it wont start and beep once, if the hood is open it wont start (the switch on the hood has been known to cause problems), if its low on fuel it wont start, if there is any kind of CEL it wont start etc.

It does take a certain timimg on the twice-press to get it to work, if I dont hear anything on the 2nd press the third press usually does it, Just have to be careful because if the remote start sequence begins another press cancels it. I think if you start it and cancel it twice it wont let you remote start ir any more, you have to start it regularly to reset it.

I start it regularly from 800-1000'' away line of sight so it has decent range. But like anything else these days it has many safety features that can stop it from working.

DarthRam 08-29-2013 02:11 PM

On my last truck I had an aftermarket AstoStart. It was amazing. I could start my truck from the second level of a building from 500+ feet away. It also had a 2-way system that would tell the remote if the truck was running, doors locked, etc. If the signal to start the truck wasn't received by the truck it would tell me that also.

So, with all the technology available today, why the sub standard remote start system on these trucks?

sofaking 08-29-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthRam (Post 1187692)
On my last truck I had an aftermarket AstoStart. It was amazing. I could start my truck from the second level of a building from 500+ feet away. It also had a 2-way system that would tell the remote if the truck was running, doors locked, etc. If the signal to start the truck wasn't received by the truck it would tell me that also.

So, with all the technology available today, why the sub standard remote start system on these trucks?

I had an autostart 2 way on my 08 2500 and it was awesome just like you said. It was programmed to wait 12 seconds I think with the ignition on before hitting the starter (diesel).

I haven't heard great things about the factory remote start and am wondering if I should look for an aftermarket system for my new truck (when I actually buy one). It gets damn cold where I am making a reliable remote start and important feature.

Can someone tell me how the U-connect feature works from a smartphone? I understand the principle but do you need some sort of subscription to make it work and is that subscription free for the first year on new trucks? Also i am an android guy not an iphone guy and I don't see any android apps for this.