DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2013 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=241)
-   -   Friend brags about his locking rear diff (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=151627)

gjayf77 08-28-2013 08:57 PM

Friend brags about his locking rear diff

Are locking rear diffs really that much better? I have 3.92 gears with LSD, my friend that drives a 2012 nissan frontier says locking rear diffs are better. Can anyone educate me on this?

maw76 08-28-2013 09:12 PM

I had lockers on my rubicon off roading imo yes on the road when conditions are that slick and with good tires you can work the LSD just light a locker how ever a locker at the same time f-u-up going around corners, when you hammer down will allow the ass end to swing out easier than LSD or even a open diff. also depends on the quality of the locker if was a nice detroit locker i would say yes it is better than a LSD mechanically but thats my POV.

but what it all boils down to is

TIRES & DRIVER. plus hes driving japanese :4-looney:

GTyankee 08-28-2013 09:22 PM

simple explanation

posi trac means both tires are powered all the time, but will make it more difficult to turn sharply
limited slip means both tires can be powered but not until the primary tire slips just a part of a rotation

both do a nice 2 wheel burnout

KJ48 08-28-2013 09:47 PM

If he has real lockers like a Jeep Rubicon or an F150 with the e-locker they are the 'best' for off road. They usually cant be engaged at higher speeds, think 20mph on the Fords, the Jeeps need to be in 4 low before they engage as well as the Nissans. They will tear up if used on pavement while locked, its like driving around with a spool.

LSD, especially the torsen style on these '13s is pretty nice on road, not of much use for serious off roading though.

Some say the best of both worlds with an e-locker, you have a locked rear (or front) whe you need it climbing rocks and the highway manners of an open rear when disengaged. That is if you are doing a lot of off roading, for a street driven pickup I'll take the LSD..

Explorer Rob 08-28-2013 10:43 PM

As mentioned above a real locker is better off road, a limited slip has better road manners than a locker but doesn't work as well off road. A limited slip does work better than an open differential though off road. A limited slip differential has a torque rating. If my memory is correct, I think it was about 40 lb/ft on my factory limited slip on my '97 Explorer (8.8" Ford rear end). What that meant was that as long as the available traction between my two back tires didn't differ by more than 40 lb/ft both tires would get power. If one tire was on ice and the other on pavement though, then the tire on ice would get power. There is a way around that though and that is by lightly applying the brakes or the parking brake to give resistance to the tire on ice. Usually that's all it took. My Ford's limited slip used clutch disks that eventually wear out effectively turning my limited slip into an open differential. Mine was pretty much worn out by 100,000 miles so I had 4.56 gears installed and a Powertrax True-track locker put in the rear. The Powertrax only locks up when under power and is all mechanical using springs and rods. If I coasted around corners, it felt like an open differential. If I got on the throttle during the turn though, I would have to make a correction to the steering wheel since it shifted the direction I was headed. The thing I didn't like about it was when I was pulling my trailer and off the gas when going down hill it would slightly change direction when I touched the gas pedal. Around town was no big deal, but pulling a 4000 lb. trailer that weighed as much as my Explorer could be a handful at 60 MPH in the mountains. Off road though the locker was far superior to my factory limited slip.

So the short answer to your question is yes, his locker is better than your limited slip off road but at least your Ram looks better :)

Thunderhorse 08-28-2013 10:57 PM

You will get more use out of your LSD than he will out of his locker.

kev12345 08-28-2013 11:16 PM

Who goes offload to the point of needing lockers in a brand new truck anyway? These people have too much $$$

DAA 08-29-2013 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev12345 (Post 1187358)
Who goes offload to the point of needing lockers in a brand new truck anyway?

Me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev12345 (Post 1187358)
These people have too much $$$

I sure don't think so. I just have really super cool places I like to visit and crazy fun things to do that sometimes require some pretty serious 4WD action, that's all.

For real offroading, a limited slip is just that - limited. Not even on the same planet as a locker.

For street use, lockers aren't very useful at all, in my opinion. Not even snow/ice. Not real bad in a long wheel base like a Ram, but pretty bad driving a locked short wheel base on slick pavement. As others have already said, just tears things up on dry pavement.

I really do wish a selectable locker was an option on the Ram like it is on the Ford's and Toyota's. The latest Ford version is selectable at usable at high speed too. Heck, I'd be happy to put an aftermarket locker in, if one of the quality mfgs like Eaton or ARB would make one for these new ZF axles I'd be ordering it like right now.

- DAA

DAA 08-29-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTyankee (Post 1187254)
simple explanation

posi trac means both tires are powered all the time, but will make it more difficult to turn sharply
limited slip means both tires can be powered but not until the primary tire slips just a part of a rotation

both do a nice 2 wheel burnout

A posi trac is a limited slip. Made by Eaton. Clutch pack style. I've owned a few of them. They were pretty good for what they were back in the day. But not on the same level as a modern gear driven LSD. It's not a locker. And doesn't act like one.

Both tires powered all the time would be a spool. No differential at all - no limited slip, not even a locker which all allow some differential action whether it be automatic like a Detroit or via selectivity like an ARB, but all lockers allow at least some differential action at least some of the time. The only way to really assure equal power to both tires at all times is a spool, which never allows any differential action at all. A spool sucks royally on a street driven rig. I had a spool in the rear of a Scout that I drove daily once many years ago. That thing was nightmare in tight parking lots :LOL:.

- DAA

Billacuda 08-29-2013 01:37 PM

Isn't the built-in traction control basically an electronic LSD? I know mechanical is superior, but even with an open differential the computer will put the brakes on the spinning wheel so the wheel with traction has a chance to turn.