DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.2 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   94 ram 5.2 more power? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=151639)

rammin318 08-28-2013 10:05 PM

94 ram 5.2 more power?

well guys i just got done taking off the junk exhaust system that was on my truck, did a thrush glasspack to a side pipe. im trying to get some more power out of the old girl so im looking at other stuff i could do. one thing im considering is deleting the ac. the compressor knocks really bad, the wirings messed up, and it doesnt hold refrigerant. will i get any power gain from it? im pretty much gonna do it either way, but i believe there would be a power gain, dont know if im right or not. a couple of things im thinking about getting would be a intake, headers (cutouts possibly?). any body try programmers/ chips with these engines? worth the money? any other bolt on recommendations? just trying to squeeze all the power out of it i can. thanks guys!

Gen1dak 08-29-2013 11:03 AM

The AC turned off really doesn't drain power unless the pulley is damaged or something. If it's knocking, is it actually engaged? Disconnect all power to it. Any difference? Not much available in the tuner dept, but remember that those tuners usually increase ignition timing, which usually increases octane requirements.

anothernewb 08-29-2013 12:53 PM

5.2 responds well to a cam. the stock cams are very mild. Plus, the 5.2 has been around since shortly after moses put on sandals, so the parts are well established and fairly inexpensive.

Bolt on's are good for a few HP and TQ sometimes, but they get expensive and have diminishing returns quickly.
Many of the older 5.2's also suffered from loose tolerances when it came to cylinder head and intake/exhaust port alignment. A buddy and I were able to really wake up a 94 jeep with a 5.2 by simply gasket matching and opening up the ports. One of the head castings on the combustion chambers was of by almost 1/8" We ended up milling the heads down a bit anyway when we were done to up the compression a bit.

We never dynoed the jeep when we were done, but after the port work and an off the shelf cam it was a significant increase. in total we spent less than 1k and only a couple weekends worth of work.

rammin318 09-01-2013 03:37 PM

Heres my list of stuff as far as performance goes, bolt on headers, 3 inch exhaust from catback, high voltage coil, upgrade the rest of the ignition system, intake. I absolutely wont rip this engine apart until it blows. Seeing as its still relatively low mileage that wont be for a while yet. When it starts to go i plan on getting another one from the junkyard allong with a transmission and doing a big build. But thats in the future. Some other stuff im gonna do is a 6 inch lift 33s and a dertroit locker in the rear.

HemiLonestar 09-01-2013 06:50 PM

Drop a 360 in it's place.

anothernewb 09-01-2013 09:47 PM

with those bolt on's you might see some gain with a tune, but IMO, it's pretty much maxed out until you start tearing into it.