DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Oil Change (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   No mess oil filter removal? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=151662)

Oak 08-29-2013 10:06 AM

No mess oil filter removal?

Is it possible?
I tried the search but found nothing related. I changed oil on my 2010 5.7 hemi this morning and slopped oil out of the filter when I removed it. Between short ground clearance and trying to reach up between engine parts to get at the filter I ended up with oil running down my arm and onto the driveway. Is there a better way of getting the filter off? I'd prefer to do my own changes, but not if I'm gonna be spilling oil all over the place each time.

Thanks,
Oak

Hermes1 08-29-2013 10:38 AM

We all feel your pain and this is a common complaint and there are several threads on various solutions. One of the popular solutions is to loosen the oil filter then place a plastic bag up and around the filter, which you will grasp at the same time un-screwing the filter. Other solutions involve placing cardboard, rubber mats etc. over the suspension components so the errant oil drains into your pan. Personally, I have found yes there is a mess, but not enough I cannot wipe it clean fairly quickly. Hope this helps.

sinfulrelations 08-29-2013 10:44 AM

another solution would be to get an oil filter relocation kit and mount it somewhere easy to get to and flat, i dont know what kind of kits they make for the ram pickups but i did just that when i did the 350 swap to my s10

Astartes 08-29-2013 10:46 AM

I usually lay a tarp down with my oil pan on top of it. You can't escape oil being in your filter lol

Oak 08-29-2013 11:08 AM

Thanks all.
Next time I'll wrap the filter in a plastic bag. That sounds simple enough. I don't mind oil being in the filter, but I do mind it spilling onto the ground/driveway. Somebody needs to invent a flexible silicone funnel with a long tube that can be used for this. Isolate the warm oil and filter from hands and drains right into the drain pan. Could be bigger than the iphone!

Oak

Grubrunner 08-29-2013 11:11 AM

The plastic bag and oil filter combo works very well.

Oak 08-29-2013 04:11 PM

I'm a few thousand miles away from it, but that's my plan for next oil change.

Oak

Bully's Performance 08-29-2013 05:24 PM

Yes the plastic bag seems to be the way to go. Amazing how the simplest products can do the best job

RogerRamJet 08-29-2013 06:31 PM

Plastic bag it is, then. Yes, it does work well.

82corvette 08-29-2013 09:00 PM

I made a tray out of tin, 12" long, 6" wide & 1" tall end & sides. it fits in just under filter & drains into drain pan. I also have a can of brakleen handy to clean up any mess I make.