DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   bad mpg after spark plug change (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=151695)

Tongan Built 08-29-2013 05:31 PM

bad mpg after spark plug change

i changed my spark plugs at 42000 should've been at 30000....the stock ones are ngks and they swap it out with champions....i wonder why and wonder if thats the cause. my air filter is brand new as well. anyone have same issue?

dodge man 08-29-2013 05:39 PM

If you got the coils back on correctly and gapped them correctly, it shouldn't have hurt your mileage. Did you put any special plugs in or are they just plain Champion copper plugs. I've heard of people having problems with plantinum and the high dollar plugs, but not with just regular plugs.

Also, how do you know your mpg is worse? Single tank? I guess I'm saying are you for sure you mileage is worse, or is it something else.

snrusnak 08-29-2013 07:08 PM

Yes make sure to use oem plugs, or iridium. Don't buy in to the hype of all these magical plugs, they are pretty much all worse that oem as far as performance and efficiency. You want an oem copper(or iridium) single ground electrode plug.

RogerRamJet 08-29-2013 10:03 PM

Put some $1.99 Champion OEM plugs in last week. Getting 2+ more mpg after the switch. Added synthetic oil, too. But I'm thinking the plugs are where the real gain is.

4Play1 08-30-2013 08:57 AM

When I had my 2003 Hemi I had the dealer change mine at 30k. This was the worst decision ever. My MPG's drop a lot also. I do not plan on driven this truck forever so I will not be doing the plugs. From my understanding the plugs will last 100k but the problem is they my seize.

HammerRammer 08-30-2013 11:38 AM

I would pull them out and re-gap them...that's only thing that could cause problems if it's directly related to the spark plug change. Unless they're just the wrong ones.

huntergreen 09-03-2013 01:34 AM

any improvement in the mileage yet?

Tongan Built 09-07-2013 02:10 PM

splzfr5c11...this is the plugs they put in....im not good with my hands on cars, so i just had the dealer do them...im plannin on goin back to dealership nx week to have them double check if they were done properly spaced out correctly and all those things you guys mentioned, thanks! however on a side note i wonder if its the tire psi...i noticed they pump it to 35 as recommended but i use to get 44 psi all the time, this is the first time i got 35psi in my tires when they changed my plugs, wonder if that had an mpg effect.

Tongan Built 09-07-2013 02:12 PM

u know whats also funny the model plugs (oem) i posted...the ones they installed said nickel plugs on the box but everyone says the stocks are copper? wonder why they put nickel plugs in

snrusnak 09-07-2013 03:33 PM

I don't believe that's an oem plug.