DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2014 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=247)
-   -   Diesel Test Drive (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=151718)

country-boy 08-29-2013 11:23 PM

Diesel Test Drive

Been lurking for quite a while... time for some questions.

Looks like the diesel won't go into production until 10/7.
http://www.donlen.com/production-trucks-chrysler.aspx

Based on that, it seems we won't see one on a dealer lot until *maybe* a little before Thanksgiving. I'm quite interested in the option, but there's no way I'm going to buy something without test driving it first. Does anyone disagree with this timing? I hope I'm wrong!

I also saw a lot of discussion on tow capacity for the diesel. Here's what I figure:
2013 Ram 1500 SLT, Std Cab, 4X2, 8 box, 3.55, 5.7L V8, 8-spd = 9,100
2014 Ram 1500 Std Cab, 4X2, 8 box, 3.55, 3.0L Diesel, 8-spd = 9,200
Difference =~ 100 lbs in favor of the diesel
So I figure:
2014 Ram 1500, Laramie, Crew Cab, 4x4, 57 box, 3.55, Diesel, 8-spd =~ 8,450 + 100 = 8,550
The 3.92 comes out middle Jan 2014, and for the Laramie CC, should push to a tad over 10,000. I think the MPG difference would be no more than 1 less, but it's still a long time to wait.
Do these numbers look right?

randomid25 08-30-2013 03:01 AM

Sounds like you've got a good handle on it. If you want to, you could drive the jeep grand cherokee diesel. They're gonna be in production a solid month, month and a half earlier than the ram and are running the same drivetrain.

country-boy 08-30-2013 08:57 AM

I should've thought of that.... thanks!
That would put them in production now. I did a quick search, but didn't see anything official about production times. The Donlen site shows the GC, but doesn't mention the diesel. Maybe they're already building them?

Gantman 08-30-2013 09:12 AM

Yes good hard data right there. I think the biggest benefit with the 3.0L Diesel will be its fuel economy. The towing capacity numbers are nearly identical but the Ram reps claim upwards of 30mpg hwy with the Diesel. You said it best Country-Boy, a test drive will be necessary to verify. The Jeep alternative is a great idea for comparison and test purposes.

country-boy 08-30-2013 11:06 AM

I did a fairly simple trade-off between the diesel and the gas. I started with average prices for gas & diesel, both local and national. Then used my personal average miles per year (about 18k). For the Hemi, I used 17 mpg, for the ED I used 28 mpg.
It shows breaking even on the cost of the ED in just over 2 years, and then saving $1300-$1400 a year after that. If I keep the truck 8 years (which is conservative for me), I'll save $7k-$8k. That's nothing to sneeze at!
The towing stats seem to be a wash vs. the Hemi. If the performance is anything even close, then I'm in.

Hermes1 08-30-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by country-boy (Post 1188359)
I did a fairly simple trade-off between the diesel and the gas. I started with average prices for gas & diesel, both local and national. Then used my personal average miles per year (about 18k). For the Hemi, I used 17 mpg, for the ED I used 28 mpg.
It shows breaking even on the cost of the ED in just over 2 years, and then saving $1300-$1400 a year after that. If I keep the truck 8 years (which is conservative for me), I'll save $7k-$8k. That's nothing to sneeze at!
The towing stats seem to be a wash vs. the Hemi. If the performance is anything even close, then I'm in.

I'd say that is a quick return for you.

lowfast 08-30-2013 12:13 PM

I am supprised Ram has at least not built a few pre-production trucks for the Magazines to review. It would really help carry the intial hype/press on from when it was first announced until they hit the dealer lots. I really want to hear true impressions of how the thing drives. Reading the Jeep reviews the press seems to love the Diesel GC, but while close, the Jeep set-up is not exactly what will be available in the Ram (weight, gearing, etc.)

country-boy 08-30-2013 03:09 PM

Exactly my thought. Even if I get to play with the Jeep GC, it's not enough to make a decision to buy the Ram. I agree that initial reports seem good, so it just means I can't justify blowing it off and buying the Hemi just due to impatience.

Guess I'll just have to keep my ears open and keep up on this board. And keep my fingers crossed.

lowfast 08-30-2013 04:02 PM

Yep, I think there are a good number of us who are waiting to pull the trigger on a new truck based on how this engine pans out. I am sure I would be very happy with a Hemi, but I don' want to kick myself in 6 months knowing I should have waited for the Diesel. I typically keep my trucks 8-10 years so waiting a few extra months to get the "right one" is worth it.

country-boy 08-30-2013 04:39 PM

In 2002 I really wanted a Ram, but couldn't get anything solid about the rumored Hemi. I waited a while, and finally gave up and got the 4.7. Less than 6 months later... guess what? They announced the Hemi in the 1500. I was sick. Personally I thought the 4.7 was a dog, and after a year and half I traded it in.

I don't want to make same mistake again. So it looks like I'll wait until Turkey Day or so, and look forward to the test drive. I'll be completely ready to sit down with the manager that day if it pans out.