DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2014 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=247)
-   -   OK I give up... (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=151824)

Yankee 08-31-2013 02:50 PM

OK I give up...

I have just discovered that the 6 has no tranny dipstick...hmmmm???? looking at the s/a manual that comes with the thing, even the bigger mills say "if so equipped"...what, you NEVER check the tranmission fluid???

BTW, i sincerely hope the thing im waiting on from RAM has more info in it than this one...

GTyankee 08-31-2013 03:12 PM

I believe that several Grand Cherokees & Wranglers use the same Pentastar engine
if you are passing a OFF ROAD shop & some are parked out front, stop in & pick the owners brains about their engine

topgun 08-31-2013 03:41 PM

The missing dipstick is not new. Been that way on the Fords for some time. Just like they have the capless fueling which is now on the Ram diesels. Just a matter of time whether we like it or not.

Not sure which manual you are looking at but did you download the Owners Manual from the Ram website?

astonius 08-31-2013 04:22 PM

Yankee, you have the 8 speed right? ZF transmissions are a "sealed for life" design, meaning you should never have to change the fluid under normal driving conditions.

Yankee 08-31-2013 05:23 PM

Thanks for the replies...yeh, i have the 8 speed...oh well...time marches on...(and it came with the standard gas cap) and no i chose not to download the thing, theyre sending me a hardcopy of all that stuff so i can stand it up on the workbench shelf with all the other ones, which is where it belongs.....including a bunch i dont own anymore...its the American Way....hehehehe

deathwarden5 09-02-2013 08:59 PM

The oil can be checked. There is a check/fill plug on the right side of the transmission, right above the pan. It has to be checked/filled at a very specific temperature though. The oil is a "lifetime" oil... that is recommended to be changed every 10 years...

Yankee 09-02-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deathwarden5 (Post 1191096)
The oil can be checked. There is a check/fill plug on the right side of the transmission, right above the pan. It has to be checked/filled at a very specific temperature though. The oil is a "lifetime" oil... that is recommended to be changed every 10 years...

well i assumed there was some kind of access...but clearly they dont want mere owners to fiddle with it......and thats ok with me....one less thing to play with///instead, now im staring at the digital readout on the EVIC screen telling me what everything is doing....one thing is for sure they share with FORD...the mpg/range readout is certifiable..works just like my Lincoln.....good thing these guys didnt work for NASA...or mebbe they did...glad it still has a gauge.....

RogerRamJet 09-02-2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deathwarden5 (Post 1191096)

"Lifetime" oil is only 10 years? Cars today are lasting a lot more than 10 years.

exilepa 09-03-2013 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by topgun (Post 1189391)
Not sure which manual you are looking at but did you download the Owners Manual from the Ram website?

I am such a horrible Ram owner! I can download a better/full owner's manual from the Ram website?

Yankee 09-03-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exilepa (Post 1191397)
I am such a horrible Ram owner! I can download a better/full owner's manual from the Ram website?

sure, and then you can lay yer device on top of the radiator, or print out what you need and have papers flappin, , or call up CS and tell THEM to send you one....Im expecting it this week...the instructions are in the back of the lil 'booklet", and in the fine print on the DVD....but its just a phone call...(it had BETTER be way thicker than what we got...)