DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Tinting the 2013 tail lights... anyone? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=151848)

2011 ASSAULT 800 08-31-2013 07:21 PM

Tinting the 2013 tail lights... anyone?

Has anyone tinted the LED tails on their 13 yet?? I dont not and will not use VHT, I have used that crap before and it is hard to get right on both sides and fades in the sun over time. I am looking at using window tint type of material to cover the tails to darken them up a bit, I figure because they are LED they should still be very bright as I wouldnt go to dark with the tint, I would want to leave the area over the reverse lights un tinted. Has anyone used window tint on tail lights before?

InDeepWaterBlue 09-02-2013 09:43 PM

I have aftermarket LED tail lights in my 11 and I painted them to match my truck. I did mine to match the paint on my truck so they're dark as hell. I have used Window Tint in the past and it works, but it has it's own issues. If it's on for long periods of time it becomes a pain in the ass to get off because it will kind of bond with the plastic. Think of it like trying to take very old window tint off, it doesn't just peel. You can't go off-roading with it either as it scratches very easily.

2011 ASSAULT 800 09-03-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InDeepWaterBlue (Post 1191138)
I have aftermarket LED tail lights in my 11 and I painted them to match my truck. I did mine to match the paint on my truck so they're dark as hell. I have used Window Tint in the past and it works, but it has it's own issues. If it's on for long periods of time it becomes a pain in the ass to get off because it will kind of bond with the plastic. Think of it like trying to take very old window tint off, it doesn't just peel. You can't go off-roading with it either as it scratches very easily.

never thought about the scratching, I wont vht my tails ever again so the only other alternative is window type tint but maybe its not such a good idea

InDeepWaterBlue 09-03-2013 09:54 PM

You could always pull a retrofit and bake your tail lights apart and tint the inside of the lens.

2011 ASSAULT 800 09-06-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InDeepWaterBlue (Post 1192079)
You could always pull a retrofit and bake your tail lights apart and tint the inside of the lens.

that is a neat idea, I still wouldnt want to use VHT though lol I dont think heat from the led bulbs would be an issue with the window tint??

InDeepWaterBlue 09-06-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2011 ASSAULT 800 (Post 1194571)
that is a neat idea, I still wouldnt want to use VHT though lol I dont think heat from the led bulbs would be an issue with the window tint??

oh no you could use regular window tint. The sun heats up windows to well over 100 degrees and the tail lights don't put out nearly that amount of heat

Root 09-13-2013 05:21 PM

Check out Lamin-X http://www.lamin-x.com/. They make tinted film specifically for exterior lights.

I just did the fog lights & 3rd brake light on my 2013 Crew Cab Sport & it worked great (there are pics of the before & after of my fogs in my review on their site)

It's way thicker than window film & is designed to be outside. I haven't had mine on for long but so far it looks like a great product :smileup:

trojanman22 09-16-2013 02:20 PM

I took mine to a local mom n pop auto body shop and they charged me $75 to tint mine and they came out flawless and shiny

Yotaconvert 09-16-2013 07:43 PM

I have used a high grade clear over my VHT jobs for YEARS and never had a fading issue but the clear is like 20$ a can.

Its called Spraymax2k and is a 2 part deal

Canadian Hemi Pride 09-16-2013 10:17 PM

I have noticed if you use several coats of clear and polish and wax the VHT, you won't get the fading.