DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Washing & Waxing (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   Black truck &Buck brush scratches help!! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=151943)

glaizinman 09-01-2013 10:20 PM

Black truck &Buck brush scratches help!!

I have a 07 ram it's brilliant black peral. Went out in the buck brush o got lots of surface scratches and some a little deeper. I know black lol this is my second black truck after the first I said I would never do it again.I'm used to my white 97 jeep. The to off foad are night and day I miss that jeep. What is the best thing to use to try to get the scratches out? I don't just want to go out and try something and really make it worse.

constableal 09-01-2013 11:41 PM

sorry to hear about your truck. Unfortunately, I have the same exact problem. Black Pearl with surface scratches. Primo Spaghetti and Leadfootluke are two forum members that know a lot about detailingn and such. Hopefully they'll chime in here in a bit.:smileup:

glaizinman 09-02-2013 12:14 AM

Thanks I could use all the help I can get.I should have Known better black looks good when clean

RogerRamJet 09-02-2013 12:21 AM

Read through THIS thread. Lots of good info there. You can also use the search feature to find any other threads with scratch or scratch removal in them. Peruse the threads started by Primo and see what you come up with.

Chunkem 09-02-2013 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glaizinman (Post 1190366)
I have a 07 ram it's brilliant black peral. Went out in the buck brush o got lots of surface scratches and some a little deeper. I know black lol this is my second black truck after the first I said I would never do it again.I'm used to my white 97 jeep. The to off foad are night and day I miss that jeep. What is the best thing to use to try to get the scratches out? I don't just want to go out and try something and really make it worse.

I would contact Primospaghetti, our resident expert. He will be able to help you out....Good luck and let us know how things work out.....

primo spaghetti 09-02-2013 07:56 PM

Hi glaizinman;

i have two questions..

1; are you working by hand or do you have access to a machine polisher?

2; If you drag the back of your fingernail across the deeper scratches, can you feel them?

it will help in my recommendation.

glaizinman 09-02-2013 11:56 PM

Yes I have a craftsman orbital polisher.And yes some of the scratches I can feel with the back of my finger nail

primo spaghetti 09-03-2013 07:44 AM

well the scratches you can feel are deep and arent going to come out, but polishing them will make them less noticeable. they will need touched up if you can feel them.

im not familiar with the polisher you have, but is it the type that you put bonnets on? if so, it isnt really going to give you any type of "correction". they were designed to remove wax residue more than anything else.

working by hand is a bit tough and very very difficult to remove scratches and swirls. definately look at suing Meguiar's black wax. it is an all in one type product which gently cleans and polishes the paint and leaves a wax pretection behind all in one step.

also, barrett jackson has a product line out made by Farecla which is great to use by hand.
you could also try the usually favourites by hand like Meguiars M105 on the deeper scratches, but again, it is difficult and time consuming by hand

kxlexus 09-04-2013 01:17 AM

Buy a Porter Cable 7424 and some orange Lake Country CCS pads. First, wash the vehicle. Then use the PC with some Maguires 105. Then go over it again with some 205. That should take out any scratches you can't feel and leave you with a shiny truck. Next you will need to put on a coat of sealant and then I follow with a coat or 3 or carnauba wax