DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2012 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   Considering buying a diesel (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=151955)

Giants89 09-01-2013 11:57 PM

Considering buying a diesel

Good evening everyone. I've been doing some serious contemplating on selling my 12' QC sport and buying a Cummins. My job, heavy equipment operator involves me being around diesel equipment and trucks. The power and torque which can be made from a diesel platform is absolutely amazing. I love my Hemi, but I think it'd be pretty awesome to own a diesel truck. The Ram is my first truck, which is also my DD. I rarely tow anything so the truck is mainly used for recreation and daily use. The only reason I'd like to buy a diesel is for superior torque and modding. The diesel modding scheme has really grown and I'm intrigued by it. If I were to purchase a diesel it would mainly replace my Hemi and remain a daily driver. I know many people would ridicule the thought of owning a big diesel just to drive to and from work. One day I may purchase a boat, trailer or camper. Just trying to get some input from some fellow Ram owners. Please no hate on this thought!!

brandonjansen 09-02-2013 12:11 AM

Sounds like you're in the exact same boat as me. My truck is also my daily driver and I don't tow very often (at the moment) but might buy a big trailer in the future. I pretty much had the same thoughts as you as far as wanting the power and torque of a diesel, extra mod options, all that kind of stuff. Well I finally went ahead a did it and I can tell you I don't regret it one bit! Driving the Cummins is a whole new level of truck. I can't even describe it. If you want to get in to one and have the option to do it I say go for it! Because that bug will never leave you, it will always be pushing you towards the Cummins ;)

Giants89 09-02-2013 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonjansen (Post 1190452)
Sounds like you're in the exact same boat as me. My truck is also my daily driver and I don't tow very often (at the moment) but might buy a big trailer in the future. I pretty much had the same thoughts as you as far as wanting the power and torque of a diesel, extra mod options, all that kind of stuff. Well I finally went ahead a did it and I can tell you I don't regret it one bit! Driving the Cummins is a whole new level of truck. I can't even describe it. If you want to get in to one and have the option to do it I say go for it! Because that bug will never leave you, it will always be pushing you towards the Cummins ;)

Agreed! The mod opportunities with a diesel are practically limitless! Plus I really miss boost. Before my Ram I owned a 2011 WRX, which was an awesome car! Just the thought of having a turbo twice the size of the turbo in the WRX, paired with a big cummins is just too awesome :smileup: I couldn't agree with you more regarding diesel "bug" too! This bug started about 3 years ago when I was big into my little tuner car phase. I almost bought a F-250 with the 6.0 Powerstroke. I really do question myself on occasion, why did I buy the 1500 Hemi.. I should have just bought a used 3rd gen Cummins with the 5.9 or 6.7!! :doh: I would be without a truck payment right now. Your truck is gorgeous by the way! I'm not to sure I'd be able to go that big. If I do sell my truck I'd be looking used, 2008+ Cummins. I'm also interested in the Duramax paired with the Allison trans. I'm looking to buy a truck with light, tasteful mods, such as level, rims, tires and some EGR deletes.

brandonjansen 09-02-2013 02:03 AM

Yes, it's actually ridiculous. Already just looking around at some parts and a cummins forum for the past week I've found tons of parts that I could add to my list for my truck. It's just never ending!
2011 WRX is definitely a sick car. I wouldn't mind having one of those someday. But a truck is higher on my list ;) I'm fully with you on questioning the purchase of your 1500 as well. I went through the same thing. My plan was to keep it for at least 3 or 4 years and then buy a Cummins but I just couldn't stand it anymore. I needed more. Lol.

Thanks for the compliment! I definitely did go all out with this one. I figured if I'm going to do it I might as well go all out and make sure I get everything I want. So that's what I did.

The 3rd gen Cummins are also very nice trucks. Love the look of them. A 2007+ Duramax is also nice... But I'd still go with a Cummins over any other diesel truck. What's nice about buying a truck that's a few years old is that you don't have to worry about warranty when doing deletes. That's the one thing stopping me right now which is kind of unfortunate. I'd love to do a full turbo back exhaust, deletes and a tuner.... But I don't want to screw with my warranty quite yet. I gotta at least wait a couple years.

Kcbigbadram 09-02-2013 06:06 AM

I was in the same place a few months back. Finally bought the cummins and sure am glad I did! If you can make it work money wise I say get the new truck.

ms8091 09-02-2013 10:30 AM

I agree. If you can swing it, do it. I owned another brand diesel a couple trucks ago and the power is awesome. Not to mention the sound and the smell of diesel in the morning. Good luck.

dodgeboy360 09-02-2013 04:58 PM

If you want a deisel as a toy and for modding and daily driving stick with a 5.9 cummins my opinion is a 03-08 are the best years of the cummins.. The 6.7 is nice but they killed it with all the emissions stuff the government is putting in place as a law now a days.. I'm up and down on this idea everyday.. Would love a cummins but for me it's not worth it for the extra cost of maintenance and repairs plus the modding sickness once u start u can never stop lol.. I tow and haul stuff all the time and my little hemi does just dandy.. But for sure cummins is where it's at

MBR 09-02-2013 05:42 PM

Between my wife and I we've had 5 diesels and 3 gas trucks, I'm currently driving my 2010 Hemi as my daily as my previous truck 05 2500 5.9L just needed a change from the rough riding suspension being a diesel. The wife drives a 2008 6.7L with a 6" lift and wouldn't have it any other way. After having the new Hemi I don't know if I could go back just due to how damn smooth it rides!

Gantman 09-02-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBR (Post 1190970)
Between my wife and I we've had 5 diesels and 3 gas trucks, I'm currently driving my 2010 Hemi as my daily as my previous truck 05 2500 5.9L just needed a change from the rough riding suspension being a diesel. The wife drives a 2008 6.7L with a 6" lift and wouldn't have it any other way. After having the new Hemi I don't know if I could go back just due to how damn smooth it rides!

You said it perfectly MBR! As my Pops and I, just this last weekend, drove out to the rifle range in his 99 3/4 ton Cummins with over 300000 miles and purring; But when we got off the concrete onto gravel/dirt roads, it made me miss my 1500 Hemi. My kidneys were ready for emptying once we got parked.:LOL: Can you imagine stadium trucks/Baja using HD axles and suspension? Wholly headache man! :LOL: My Pops fell asleep in my 1500 Hemi for two hours while towing the boat to the lake. All he could say was, "Damn!, that sure didn't feel like any Ram I'm used to ridin in!" Snored all the way up, like a big ole happy baby! Not one need for a pee break.:LOL:

topgun 09-02-2013 06:34 PM

The new 2500 trucks get the coils in the rear which should help with the ride. If you really want a diesel and can afford it, go for it.