DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Washing & Waxing (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   Grrrr I could hurt someone!!!! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=152006)

Stump3r 09-02-2013 03:18 PM

Grrrr I could hurt someone!!!!

I don't know when or how it happened but my truck is covered with what looks like white overspray! I spent over an hour with the clay bar on one section of the hood and the passenger quarter panel and it's still not 100% clean. I'll admit the claybar does get a whack of it but to get it perfectly clean is going to take some serious time with the porter cable and a skill set I don't currently have. Primo why do you have to live on the other side of the country??? :D
Then to add insult to injury I've been taking my beloved to a local carwash company that hand washes only! You always see guys in there with their custom rods and super cars so you know they do an awesome job....yeah well they don't! The amount of swirl marks in her makes me want to cry!!! That's what you get when you trust your baby to the hands of others.
Hard lesson learned I guess, never trust your truck finish to anyone other than a true pro. I'm now saving up for a paint correction come spring. No sense in doing it now as I'm sure hunting season will add a few scars as well as the long winter not so far off.

BlueJet 09-02-2013 03:21 PM

And people think I am a biotch because I won't let anyone touch my baby............

Now you know, the hard way! :(

Chunkem 09-02-2013 04:16 PM

WOW....Sorry to hear that.....Yeah I have also learned that no one touches the RAM......

Let us know how things go Shane.....That's really shitty......

Gantman 09-02-2013 05:22 PM

Man sorry to hear about your swirl mark experience Stump3r. You know, being in the customer service department industry, the one thing always preached is, "To treat it like you would treat your own". Unfortunately, some people don't treat their own, all that good.:LOL:

CdnoilRAM 09-02-2013 05:26 PM

Damn, sorry to hear that. I guess that's one problem with owning a new vehicle, you care so much about each and every scratch. I luckily have another year before I really start caring about my paint.

spoiler 09-02-2013 05:36 PM

You might try some "Bug and Tar remover" It is a strong solvent that won't harm clear coat if used as directed. It'll take the overspray off in easy swipes of the microfiber cloth. Clay bar is not intended to be used for your particular problem.
You could also try some Meguire's Medium cut polish. It can be applied by hand with not too much elbow grease.
It won't be perfect but you'll be surprised how nice your baby looks in 2 hours. Good luck.

primo spaghetti 09-02-2013 07:54 PM

oh shane that terrible. sorry to hear man. Id definately take care of it for you if you were closer!

i always use clay on overspray and when it doenst work, i bring out the polish.

but i have another possible solution...see if you can find goof off...it is like a bug and tar remover that spolier mentioned, but it is specific to different stains etc. they have one specially formulated for dried on paint!

But, since you have the swirls, the polish is probably the way to go.

If you have a PC already, its not tough at all to tackle the project! dont sell your skill set short. if you have time and beer, you have exactly what you need to get the job done!!!

Stump3r 09-02-2013 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by primo spaghetti (Post 1191044)
oh shane that terrible. sorry to hear man. Id definately take care of it for you if you were closer!

i always use clay on overspray and when it doenst work, i bring out the polish.

but i have another possible solution...see if you can find goof off...it is like a bug and tar remover that spolier mentioned, but it is specific to different stains etc. they have one specially formulated for dried on paint!

But, since you have the swirls, the polish is probably the way to go.

If you have a PC already, its not tough at all to tackle the project! dont sell your skill set short. if you have time and beer, you have exactly what you need to get the job done!!!

The porter cable is on my birthday wish list :D
I might have to hit you up for some tips before I tackle this one. I'll shoot you a pm when I'm about ready and will most likely get some good product shipped out as well.
Will have to try the goof off, didn't know you could get it for paint!
Thanks Primo!!!

shawnu 09-02-2013 11:19 PM

Exactly why i dont let anyone touch my truck. People think im nuts, but oh well, let their paint like hell after 5 years!!

Sorry man!!

Grubrunner 09-03-2013 12:11 AM

Are you speaking of the Goof Off Pro Strength Remover?