DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Body & Interior (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=176)
-   -   1999 Ram B3500 Van Window motor and Regulator (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=152012)

lostinflorida 09-02-2013 05:29 PM

1999 Ram B3500 Van Window motor and Regulator

Anyone know where I can find info on replacing the passenger side window motor/regulator assy?
Thanks

ramvan2500 09-06-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lostinflorida (Post 1190922)
Anyone know where I can find info on replacing the passenger side window motor/regulator assy?
Thanks

You should be able to find information in a Haynes or Chilton manual, try autozone as they have many. I don't see why you would need one anyways because it is actually a very simple procedure in these vans, you may need to remove the speaker for a little more wiggle room but other than that it is pretty straight forward.

lostinflorida 09-07-2013 04:53 PM

1999 Ram B3500 Van Window motor and Regulator

It was a piece of cake, except that I had to snake my arm up in there and and run the bolts through the regulator and screw them into the motor housing. Apparently some>>>>! put the wrong regulator/motor assy on the cable assy.
It fit but the bolt mounting was reversed, but even with that it was nothing, like was mentioned. I called Dorman on it and their tech didn't know what to tell me, he said that he would speak with their engineer and call me back the next day. Good thing that I didn't wait for them to call, because they didn't.
:smileup:

ramvan2500 09-07-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lostinflorida (Post 1194992)
It was a piece of cake, except that I had to snake my arm up in there and and run the bolts through the regulator and screw them into the motor housing. Apparently some>>>>! put the wrong regulator/motor assy on the cable assy.
It fit but the bolt mounting was reversed, but even with that it was nothing, like was mentioned. I called Dorman on it and their tech didn't know what to tell me, he said that he would speak with their engineer and call me back the next day. Good thing that I didn't wait for them to call, because they didn't.
:smileup:

It might not be reversed, if it really is then it is probably for the opposite door or yes a simple assembly error. Sometimes the regulator and cable system get all mixed up. When I rebuilt the regulators for a Jeep, I had to switch the regulators between the right and left doors. The Jeep's are a real pain the in the butt and known for regulator problems, the issue with the sleeps was the plastic cable guide would break and the cable would loose tension because the missing guide and then the windows would just fall down. Chrysler I am telling you, good design but bad materials.

lostinflorida 09-07-2013 05:31 PM

Amen on the bad materials, after taking the motor off of the old regulator I could see where the cable assy lining had bunched up on the cable and was preventing it from working very well.
Had I had any experience on these things, I would have opened it up before ordering anything and took a look. I'm pretty sure that the regulator (with cables and track could have been ordered separately) oh well I got a good price for the whole thing from Rock Auto (last one) for $66.

ramvan2500 09-07-2013 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lostinflorida (Post 1195007)
Amen on the bad materials, after taking the motor off of the old regulator I could see where the cable assy lining had bunched up on the cable and was preventing it from working very well.
Had I had any experience on these things, I would have opened it up before ordering anything and took a look. I'm pretty sure that the regulator (with cables and track could have been ordered separately) oh well I got a good price for the whole thing from Rock Auto (last one) for $66.

Atleast you have got everything working again. I usually go to the junk yard (LKQ) and pull out the entire assembly, check it over, and if it is good I use it. I think my LKQ charges 25 per assembly. Thing is that it is fine to use those plastic parts, the nylon has less friction with the cable so the windows open and close like they were gliding. However one cannot rely on plastic to keep a unit together under spring tension! It isn't even the engineers that make the boo boo, they do what they are supposed to do. It is that damn budget that dictates the materials and so the engineer has to sit back and say "ok use nylon and it will hold, but for how long?"